City

Race for the Cure to be held Sunday afternoon

The Upper Cumberland Race for the Cure will be held Sunday, Sept. 25. The race is a sanctioned 5K event approved by the Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is a global leader of the breast cancer awareness movement, having invested more than $1 billion in research since its inception in 1982. Komen’s promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.

“This year in the United States alone, more than 10,000 young women under 40 will be told that they have breast cancer,” Affiliate Coordinator Faune Nunnery said. “Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in women under age 40.

Bobbie Maynard, Race for the Cure marketing chair said, “Last year we had more than 1,600 participants and raised $120,000 to fight breast cancer in the Upper Cumberland.

“Up to 75 percent of those funds remain in the Upper Cumberland to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women.  The remaining 25 percent of funds raised goes to support national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.”

Race day events will include a breast cancer survivor ceremony starting at 12:30 p.m., a one-mile family fun walk or run taking place at 1 p.m. and the race beginning at 2 p.m. The Awards Ceremony will begin at 3:30 p.m.

The Race Village, stationed in the parking lot between the Hooper Eblen Center and Tucker Stadium, will open at 11 a.m. Live entertainment and water stations will line the raceway.

Many national and local sponsors will have interactive booths with free giveaway items, including a chance to win two American Airlines tickets. Top local sponsors for this year’s race include host sponsor Tennessee Tech University, Country Giant 94.7, WCTE, Lite Rock 95.9, Cookeville Regional Medical Center, Kroger, Highways Inc., Averitt, and the Herald-Citizen.

“We are hoping to have 2,000 participants this year, and it’s not too late to participate,” Maynard said.  “You can still register in person the day of the race.

All registered race participants will receive a T-shirt. For more information about Komen Upper Cumberland and the Race for the Cure, visit www.komenuppercumberland.org, call (931) 303-0096, or e-mail info@komenuppercumberland.org.