Tech football falls short to EKU in final minutes

The Tennessee Tech football team suffered another Ohio Valley Conference loss to No. 23 Eastern Kentucky University last Saturday 42-28.
“We were sharp,” Watson Brown, head coach, said on “The Watson Brown Show.” “We played a good game. Both sides of the ball played a very good game, but the last seven minutes just got us.”
The Golden Eagles jumped out of the gate quickly as they scored via a 77-yard pass from Tre Lamb to Adam Urbano on the second play of the game. Because of injuries, Urbano, who usually plays halfback, was moved to a receiver position.
After an EKU field goal, Tech extended its lead to 11 by adding another touchdown pass, this time a ten yarder to Da’Rick Rogers.
Eastern Kentucky was able to rally and take the lead with two straight unanswered touchdowns, one coming through the air on a 20 yard touchdown pass, and the other punched in with a six yard run from Matt Denham. That put the score at 17-14.
Tech was able to take a lead into the half with a quick two play, 37-yard drive that took 56 seconds and ended with another Lamb to Rogers touchdown pass. Rogers would tie the school’s single game touchdown record later in the game with his third touchdown reception. He has eight on the season and just needs three more to set the single-season record.
The Colonels answered back with a 14 play, 77-yard drive. They then converted their attempt at a two point conversion by a Denham rush.
The turnover bug bit the Golden Eagles for the next two drives. Lamb tossed up an interception inside Tech territory, setting up great field position for the Colonels. Eastern Kentucky took advantage and scored the go-ahead touchdown, putting the score at 35-28.
On the next Tech drive, Darian Stone replaced Lamb and threw an interception on his first pass of the game and gave EKU the ball on Tech’s 38 yard line.
Eastern Kentucky scored again on the turnover opportunity by way of an EKU quarterback T.J. Pryor 38 yard touchdown pass to Cameron Bailey. After the extra point, EKU took a 42-28 lead.
Tech punted on the next drive, and the Colonels chewed the clock, handing the Golden Eagles its fourth loss in OVC play.
“Give Eastern Kentucky credit, but I just feel for my kids,” Brown said. “They are really playing hard and practicing hard. I’m just so disappointed they’re not able to smile and enjoy it, but that’s football. You have to get up and go at it again.”
Tech finished the game with 281 yards of passing but only 15 yards of rushing. Eastern Kentucky was able to run the ball very effectively, rushing for 210 yards. Coincidently, the Colonels were also able to control the clock, holding the football for nearly a quarter longer than the Golden Eagles.
“We made seven critical mistakes in the last seven minutes, but the execution in the first three and half quarters excites me,” Brown said.