Veterans Week is Nov. 11-15 and is sponsored by Tech’s Department of Military and Veteran Affairs.
Veterans Week began last year and is something that Mary McCaskey, director of financial aid and veteran affairs, is hoping to turn into a tradition.
Veterans Day was originally only celebrated on Nov. 11, but was extended to a week-long celebration last year, McCaskey said.
“We averaged about 100 people last year at the ceremony and we’re hoping to have more this year. It’s open to the public so we’ve reached out to some local veterans and the state national guard as well,” McCaskey said.
This event is especially important to current student and veteran William Sloan.
Sloan is in his second year at Tech studying communications after serving 20 years of active duty in the Navy.
“I feel that it is an honor and privilege that Tech honors our veterans the way that they do,” Sloan said.
Sloan said he wouldn’t miss the events for any reason.
“My favorite part is cannon salute for each of the branches of the military,” Sloan said.
McCaskey said this week is important for the students to understand why we have Veterans Day.
“I think there are still some folks on campus that don’t know we have an entire department dedicated to serving our military students and dependents and this highlights that in a way. The number of veterans on campus is more than students realize,” McCaskey said. “This helps our students recognize them for their service and our university has been ranked as a top military school for a while now.”
The events for the week are listened below. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions.
- Monday – Veterans Day Ceremony in front of Jere-Whitson at 9 a.m. Refreshments provided.
- Tuesday – Veteran Appreciation Day. Departments across campus are participating.
- Wednesday – Student Veteran Block Party on Main Quad from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursday – Student Veterans Organization vs ROTC Intramural kickball on Main Quad from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Friday- Campus Service Day. The Student Veterans Organization is partnering with different facilities to participate in a campus service project and lunch will be provided.