Uncategorized

Tech splits two game series with Morehead State

Callie Smith, Sports Editor

Tech beach volleyball hosts on the sand for only its second year. 

Beach volleyball was approved for its first official season in 2023. A year later the Golden Eagles continue to soar on the sand. 

The Golden Eagles welcomed Morehead State this past weekend, March 29 and 30, and split wins with the Eagles

Tech took Friday with a nail biting 3-2 victory over Morehead State. It took six duals to satisfy the standings of the day. 

The opening set was a Tech win established by Jazmine Yamilkoski and Katie DiRaimondo. The Tech two opened with a 21-15 winning set. The next resulted in a close fall behind, 21-19. Yamilkoski and DiRaimondo secured the final first victory point, 15-12. 

Morehead State took the next two points, leaving Tech no choice but to win out or go home losing. 

It wasn’t looking hopeful as Tech fell in a close first set 21-18. Bella Powell and Madolyn Isringhausen stepped up for the Golden Eagles and secured wins in the next two sets, 22-20 and 15-8 to tie up the game.

Bringing the victory home for the Golden Eagles was MK Roberts and Skylar Boom. Tech won the first set 21-19. Then Morehead State had a turn winning 21-19. The ultimate win was down to a single set. Roberts and Boom took ownership of their home and secured Tech the win with a 15-13 final set win.

The next day in Cookeville was just as exciting, but the Golden Eagles fell short of the Eagles in final points, 3-2. 

The opening match looked the same as the day before. After the Eagles taking the first set 14-21, Yamilkoski and DiRaimondo came back to win the last two, 21-15 and 16-14. Giving the Golden Eagles their first point and hope for the day.

The next three matches did not fall in favor for Tech. The Golden Eagles won each of the first sets, yet fell within three of winning the second. Morehead State took the tie breaker each time. 

The final match of the day started with Morehead State claiming the first set, 21-16. Powell and Isringhausen finished off the last two sets of the day with wins of 21-15 and 15-3 to tally another point to the Golden Eagles. 

The Golden Eagles are 5-9 overall in their second ever season and sit at 2-4 within the OVC conference. 

Tech will travel to Clarksville for the Austin Peay tournament on April 9. The purple and gold will face Jacksonville State and Austin Peay. Games are set for 12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.

Photo By Emily Armstrong
Tech’s Brooke Amann competes against Morehead State on March 29 on Tech campus. The Golden Eagles split two games winning the first 3-2 and losing the second 3-2