New traditions unveiled at spring game
New cheers, karaoke and special guests highlight football's spring game.
“Gooo Golden Eagles” was the chant that kicked off Tech’s spring football game. Head coach Marcus Satterfield directed the event and led the crowd in some new Tech cheers. Satterfield introduced some new traditions to Tech fans; for example, the team entered the field to Jimi Hendrix’s, “Purple Haze.”
The spring game was held Thursday, April 14 in Tucker Stadium.
“One of the main reasons for putting on the spring game is to showcase our athletes because they have worked so hard,” said Satterfield, “The players can come out and play in an environment where they can have fun and celebrate all that they have accomplished so far.”
The team was split into a purple team and a gold team. Staring the game, the gold team won the coin toss.
There was a wide range of organizations that attended the spring game such as Greek organizations, the soccer team, the volleyball team, the basketball team and the Spirit Squad, which includes the dance and cheer team.
“I thought that the spring game was a lot more energized than in years past. I felt that they really tried to involve the student body and I liked that,” said Caleb Clement, a chemical engineering major and member of Sigma Phi Epsilon.
During the event, students had the opportunity to sing karaoke. The songs that students sang ranged from Smash Mouth hits to Taylor Swift hits.
Not only was there karaoke, but also students and faculty from the crowd got picked to kick field goals and participate in some plays. Awesome Eagle got in on the action and had his opportunity to punt.
Golden Eagle tight end Cory Malone had the opportunity to interact with attendees at the spring game during his karaoke competition against Chris Moore, Golden Eagle linebacker.
“My favorite thing that I enjoyed most about tonight was having the whole community come out and support us with a lot of energy, which is something Coach Satterfield is trying to install in not only us, but the community as well. I am excited about all the plays that are going to be made in this upcoming season; we are going to be champions,” said Malone.
Some major plays that happened during the spring game were: in the first quarter the gold team scored the first touchdown; during the second quarter, Austin Hicks caught the ball on the 15-yard line, almost scoring the first touchdown for the purple team; in the third quarter, Isaiah McKinney caught an interception; in the fourth quarter, Mark Wilson, the athletic director, kicked the final field goal tying up the game.
The game ended with some new traditions, such as “Dixieland Delight” being played, and it also ended in a tie of 21 to 21.
“I think that this event was a huge success because our staff did a great job getting every generation involved and creating good, positive energy,” said Coach Satterfield. “I believe that this could be one of the best football programs in the country, but the community and the team have to have the confidence to say it.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Tech Activities Board gears up for upcoming events
- Orientation and Student Success begins search for SOAs
- Ice Cream & Stroll event kicks off semester for NPHC
- Army ROTC hosts annual Gold Bar Golf Scramble to fundraise for yearly expences
- Fall Fun Fest brings food and fun to Cookeville square
- SGA reorganizes senators for Independent Programs
- Tech police roll out new parking plan with increased consequences
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum