Students ready for break, lower gas prices
Classes will be in session Wednesday, but those planning to travel the day before Thanksgiving can expect heavy traffic but lower gas prices.
In a survey conducted by AAA, 45 percent of participants planned to depart for Thanksgiving travel Wednesday.
According to a Nov. 13 press release from AAA, more Americans are expected to travel 50 miles or more for Thanksgiving this year than in 2011.
Don Lindsey, public affairs director for AAA Tennessee, said out of the 43.6 million people expected to put in the miles, about 90 percent will travel by automobile. Tennessee is expected to account for about 953,000 of the holiday travelers.
Tracy Black, research analyst for the office of institutional research at Tech, said in fall 2011 approximately 93-94 percent of Tech students were from Tennessee, but a little more than 38 percent were from the Upper Cumberland region. She said those numbers have stayed consistent over the years.
Lindsey said among reasons for increased travel is increased financial comfort this year, and gas prices have also been falling.
As of Nov. 13, gas prices in Tennessee averaged $3.16. According to the trend in prices in recent weeks, Thanksgiving travelers may see them continue to fall.
"Gasoline can change price in a heartbeat, so it's very dicey predicting what gas will do only even a week out," Lindsey said. "But if nothing else changes, if the pattern stays the way it is now, we should see the price of gasoline continue to fall for a while."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership