Springthorpe hired as new head coach
Steve Springthorpe, former Duke assistant coach, joined the Tech family in December as the new head soccer coach.
Springthorpe said he hopes to bring a new edge to the team as they begin play in the Ohio Valley Conference next fall. He described the OVC for women's soccer as "competitive" and "challenging" but said he knows the Golden Eagles have the opportunity to make a statement next season.
Several players said they were also optimistic about the season. "When we had our first team meeting with Coach Springthorpe, I knew I would like him," said upcoming junior forward Taylor Blazei. "He brought a completely different philosophy which centered around commitment, investment, and pride. These three qualities alone are great in their own right, but if we can combine them together, I believe we have a chance for a winning season."
With Springthorpe's new coaching techniques, the team members said they are excited to work towards an OVC championship.
"With his talented background and just the few weeks he has been here, he has already shown the ability to turn around our previous seasons," said senior forward Kelsey McGohan.
Springthorpe's coaching ability is well documented. As a head coach at North Carolina State in 2011, he led the program its first 10 win season since 2002. Prior to his N.C. State employment, Springthorpe spent four years, 2004-08, at Fresno State. He finished with a program best 52-40-12 overall record.
Springthorpe has a proven winning record including wins in the SEC, WAC, and USA South conferences.
At his previous school, Springthorpe assisted in training goalkeepers and defense, and analyzing film.
"We are pleased that Steve has agreed to lead our soccer program," said Tech Athletic Director Mark Wilson. "To secure a head coach at Tennessee Tech who has previous head coaching experience at the highest level of Division I will help elevate our program in all facets."
The Golden Eagles will begin spring practice in February 14 and begin their first season under Springthorpe in August.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists