Springthorpe hired as new head coach
Steve Springthorpe, former Duke assistant coach, joined the Tech family in December as the new head soccer coach.
Springthorpe said he hopes to bring a new edge to the team as they begin play in the Ohio Valley Conference next fall. He described the OVC for women's soccer as "competitive" and "challenging" but said he knows the Golden Eagles have the opportunity to make a statement next season.
Several players said they were also optimistic about the season. "When we had our first team meeting with Coach Springthorpe, I knew I would like him," said upcoming junior forward Taylor Blazei. "He brought a completely different philosophy which centered around commitment, investment, and pride. These three qualities alone are great in their own right, but if we can combine them together, I believe we have a chance for a winning season."
With Springthorpe's new coaching techniques, the team members said they are excited to work towards an OVC championship.
"With his talented background and just the few weeks he has been here, he has already shown the ability to turn around our previous seasons," said senior forward Kelsey McGohan.
Springthorpe's coaching ability is well documented. As a head coach at North Carolina State in 2011, he led the program its first 10 win season since 2002. Prior to his N.C. State employment, Springthorpe spent four years, 2004-08, at Fresno State. He finished with a program best 52-40-12 overall record.
Springthorpe has a proven winning record including wins in the SEC, WAC, and USA South conferences.
At his previous school, Springthorpe assisted in training goalkeepers and defense, and analyzing film.
"We are pleased that Steve has agreed to lead our soccer program," said Tech Athletic Director Mark Wilson. "To secure a head coach at Tennessee Tech who has previous head coaching experience at the highest level of Division I will help elevate our program in all facets."
The Golden Eagles will begin spring practice in February 14 and begin their first season under Springthorpe in August.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Women's basketball loses heart breaker to Belmont
- Men's basketball ends Belmont's undefeated conference streak
- Men's basketball has memorable clash with TSU
- Watson Brown retires as Tennessee Tech head football coach
- Student body crowns Mr. and Miss Tennessee Tech
- Brewer, Sutton are selected for the OVC All-Tournament team
- Is the College Football Playoff selection committee making the right choices?
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?
- GlobalGiving and Athletic Tips Partner to Help Keep Young...
- Share Your Love This Valentine's Day
- From Bratty to Bearable, Global Nanny Jo Frost Tackles...
- Fibromyalgia: The Disease Whose Exact Cause Remains Unknown
- Beware Scourge Pricing When Using Apps Like Uber
- How Safe Is Your Child's Bedroom?
- Is Your Smile Unforgettable?
- Gallup Report Shows More Americans Favor Chiropractic Care
- Reading Program Is 'Changing Lives One Student at a Time'