Tech students buddy up to bridge cultural differences
The Tech Buddies program has nearly tripled in size since the program's establishment during the Fall 2011 semester.
The Tech Buddies program eases what could be a challenge for many international students arriving at Tech with questions and concerns during their first few weeks on campus.
"The program is an attempt to bridge the cultural gap that frequently exists on TTU's campus," said Jacob Kelley, student coordinator of the program. "This is accomplished by matching either an American student or a returning international student with a new international student."
Emphasizing that the matches are not random, Kelley said that many factors are considered, such as personal interests and cultural considerations, before the students are paired up.
"Some cultures have to be matched with a girl," junior Tech buddy Eric Xiao said. "With cultures like those of Saudi Arabia, the girls can't be matched with a guy. So we have to meet their requirements."
While the program strongly emphasizes that it is not a dating service, some students continue to utilize it in that manner. Same-gender matches are typically created where available to help alleviate this.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming