Tech students buddy up to bridge cultural differences
The Tech Buddies program has nearly tripled in size since the program's establishment during the Fall 2011 semester.
The Tech Buddies program eases what could be a challenge for many international students arriving at Tech with questions and concerns during their first few weeks on campus.
"The program is an attempt to bridge the cultural gap that frequently exists on TTU's campus," said Jacob Kelley, student coordinator of the program. "This is accomplished by matching either an American student or a returning international student with a new international student."
Emphasizing that the matches are not random, Kelley said that many factors are considered, such as personal interests and cultural considerations, before the students are paired up.
"Some cultures have to be matched with a girl," junior Tech buddy Eric Xiao said. "With cultures like those of Saudi Arabia, the girls can't be matched with a guy. So we have to meet their requirements."
While the program strongly emphasizes that it is not a dating service, some students continue to utilize it in that manner. Same-gender matches are typically created where available to help alleviate this.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership