Tech students buddy up to bridge cultural differences
The Tech Buddies program has nearly tripled in size since the program's establishment during the Fall 2011 semester.
The Tech Buddies program eases what could be a challenge for many international students arriving at Tech with questions and concerns during their first few weeks on campus.
"The program is an attempt to bridge the cultural gap that frequently exists on TTU's campus," said Jacob Kelley, student coordinator of the program. "This is accomplished by matching either an American student or a returning international student with a new international student."
Emphasizing that the matches are not random, Kelley said that many factors are considered, such as personal interests and cultural considerations, before the students are paired up.
"Some cultures have to be matched with a girl," junior Tech buddy Eric Xiao said. "With cultures like those of Saudi Arabia, the girls can't be matched with a guy. So we have to meet their requirements."
While the program strongly emphasizes that it is not a dating service, some students continue to utilize it in that manner. Same-gender matches are typically created where available to help alleviate this.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Tech Activities Board gears up for upcoming events
- Orientation and Student Success begins search for SOAs
- Ice Cream & Stroll event kicks off semester for NPHC
- Army ROTC hosts annual Gold Bar Golf Scramble to fundraise for yearly expences
- Fall Fun Fest brings food and fun to Cookeville square
- SGA reorganizes senators for Independent Programs
- Tech police roll out new parking plan with increased consequences
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Cystic Fibrosis Breakthrough for Patients With Fungal...
- Millennials and Health Care
- Is Your Christmas Tree Up to the Task?
- Save Time and Money With a Mail-Order Pharmacy
- How to Store Your Warm Weather Gear for Winter Hibernation
- 5 Ways to Raise Capital and Start a Business
- Have Chronic Pain? Here's a Safer Alternative to Opioids
- Military Training Happens Virtually in Florida
- Out of This World: Challenge Open to 3D Print in Space
- Power Down the AC on National Ceiling Fan Day