Student arrested for selling drugs to pay for tuition
A Tech student was arrested on drug charges earlier this week after individual packages of marijuana were allegedly found in his Browning Hall residence room.
Julian M. Upshaw, 18, a fourth-floor Browning Hall resident, was arrested and charged with simple possession of a controlled substance by Tech police on Tuesday after officers reportedly discovered marijuana in his room during a related investigation.
Police said Upshaw admitted he was selling the marijuana to "try to pay to stay in school and to make it through this semester."
According to Officer Michael Lambert's report, a residential life coordinator asked police to investigate a marijuana smell that was believed to be coming from Upshaw's room on Jan. 21.
"I walked down the hallway and stood outside the door of that room," Lambert said in his report. "While there, I could detect an odor of what I am familiar with as being that of marijuana."
After Lambert knocked on the door several times, Upshaw opened it and "the odor of the marijuana became stronger."
The officer then questioned the student, who admitted possessing a "small amount" of marijuana. The report states Upshaw unlocked a small refrigerator in his room and handed the officer a white envelope.
"As he did this, I could see what appeared to be a glass jar with something stuffed into it," Lambert said.
Lambert then asked Upshaw if he "had anything further". According to an arrest warrant, the student handed over a plastic bag that contained "29 smaller cellophane wrapped packages of a green, leafy substance that [Officer Lambert] believed to be marijuana, a Schedule VI drug," which weighed 1.1296 ounces.
The report states Upshaw said he had been buying the marijuana from another unnamed student.
He reportedly told officers he was reselling the substance at $15 per package.
Police said no one else was in the room at that time.
Along with the marijuana, officers confiscated a metallic grinder, a small digital mini-scale and two personal vaporizers.
Upshaw was booked into the Putnam County jail with a bond set at $2,500.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- 'Stranger Things' continues Netflix's reign of originality
- Radiohead Welcomes The Past With 'Burn The Witch'
- Oldham and Haslam host forum for campus body about FOCUS act
- ‘I Heart Tech’ week to begin during Tech’s dead week
- Student survey measures campus sustainability
- Public Relations club pairs with Cookeville Fire Department to install smoke...
- Barketing in the Quad to aide Putnam County Animal Shelter
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Florida Remains Launch Pad to Space Thanks to Private Firms
- 9 out of 10 Americans More Likely to Come to London...
- Meeting the Health Care Needs of Next-Generation Consumers
- Katy Perry Helps Support Teachers and Students
- The Great Divide: Balancing Travel and Protecting...
- What Would It Take to Get You to the Dentist?
- Say Cheese! How What You Eat Affects Your Smile
- Headed to the Dentist? Beware of Backflow
- Student Backpacks Are Literally a Big Pain
- Lighting Tips to Enhance Your Outdoor Living Space