April Fools' pranks social media
“Ted,” the summer smash starring Seth MacFarlane (voice-over,) Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis will be released on DVD Dec. 11. TheCinemaSource
April Fool's Day of 2014 was one of the most outrageous ever, featuring elaborate jokes from all over the Internet.
Google announced and released a "PokÃ©mon Challenge" update to Google Maps that allowed users to find and capture PokÃ©mon by locating them on their iPhone or Android's map.
"It's always been important to us to have the most qualified employees in Google," Brian McClendon, vice president of Google Maps, said. "Now, using the technology created by the Google Maps team, we've prepared the most rigorous test known to man to find the world's best PokÃ©mon Master."
According to the Google Maps PokÃ©mon Challenge promotional video, users who collected every PokÃ©mon by 2 p.m. on April 2 will be invited to Googleplex to participate in a final round of challenges. The winner will reportedly be offered a job by Google and begin work on September 1, 2014.
YouTube revealed that it was behind "every single viral video that has ever been popular on the web," and unveiled some of its plans for 2014. "Clocking," one of the new alleged trends, involves recording an individual or group of people who move their arms to correspond with the time of filming. Another supposed trend, the "Glub Glub Water Dance," threatens to replace Gangnam Style as the most popular wacky foreign music video with a dance attached to it.
"This dance is so weird and fun to do, plus the song is in another language, so it's going to be a hit," Kung Pao O'Malley, performer in the Glub Glub Water Dance music video, said. "The writers and musicians on YouTube? So talented."
YouTube also announced that it doesn't "want to let all [its] meme inventors have all the fun," and revealed that, for the first time in YouTube history, it would take ideas for viral videos from its users.
Twitter showcased a new device it called the "Twitter helmet," which would allegedly allow users to "interact with the world around them entirely via a custom aviary interface," and enable owners to tweet through a pecking head movement.
Reddit announced a new method of browsing its website it called "headdit." The technology, which the promotional video referred to as "Hand Equivalent Action Detection," would supposedly permit users to utilize functions on the site by performing actions like nodding their head, expressing surprise, frowning, or showing their cat on camera.
Tumblr offered users the ability to upgrade to "Tumblr Pro" via a button on their dashboards. Those who clicked on the link were redirected to an intentionally vague video regarding the new idea, and were then given the option to upgrade to Tumblr Pro for free. Those who opted in weren't greeted with a new membership or site, but were given a top hat to accompany their avatar for everyone to see.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Purple Pride introduced to Cookeville preschoolers
- Street Preachers Return to South Patio
- Internet Outages affect campus productivity, Frontier fixes connectivity
- Flight Plan sets out to increase freshman retention
- Career Services plans for upcoming Oct. Career Fair
- Cookeville highlighted in 'Cookevegas' app
- Neon Trees to take stage in Hoop Tuesday
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses