Whitehead leads Tech Golf in Arizona Tourney
The men's golf team traveled to Goodyear, Ariz. to compete in the Snowman Getaway tournament on Feb. 24 and 25. The team finished 12th overall in the first competition of the season.
Illinois State and Air Force tied for the number one spot, both shooting 15 under par. The tournament was filled with numerous schools known for their athletic programs, including the University of Indiana and Gonzaga. Tech outperformed the two other OVC teams that participated in the Snowman Getaway, Murray State and Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville.
Lee Whitehead led Tech, shooting an impressive 65 in his second round and finishing two strokes under par for the two-day tournament. Whitehead's performance was good enough to land him the 12th best individual score out of 100 total participants.
This year marked the first time Tech had competed in the tournament, which is designed to allow cold-weather schools to get a head start on their golf season by traveling west. The men's team, who was picked to finish fourth in the OVC preseason coaches' poll, was able to gain valuable experience against talented opponents.
"When you play good in cold weather like we have had for the past month, and then you go somewhere with 80 degree weather, you can't help but play better," said Mason Griffin, redshirt junior from Oak Ridge. "That's just how it is."
Griffin struggled early, but was able to finish strong, shooting a 77 in his final round.
"Although the overall team finish is not what we hoped for, I was very excited to see some low scores from several players such as Lee Whitehead and Adam Cunningham," said Coach Brown. "We're looking forward to getting back to practice for our next tournament."
The golf season is just getting started and the men's team is set to compete in the Grover Page Classic during Spring Break, which is held in Jackson, Tenn. The women's team starts its season by traveling to South Carolina and playing a tournament on Kiawah Island. Shortly after, the ladies will travel to Las Vegas to participate in the Bison Invitational, hosted by Bucknell University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Conti awarded for outstanding leadership
- Bill for $1 SGA student fee tabled until Dec. 2 meeting
- Two business majors arrested on public intoxication charges
- Crosswalks to be improved
- Teen taken into custody for carrying gun on campus
- Tennessee Tech Kappa Sigma chapter turns 50
- SGA constitution: Revisions are finalized to prepare for student vote
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge