Frost Classic bids better results
Last weekend, the Golden Eagles played five games at the Frost Classic tournament held at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga where they went 4-1 in tournament play in three days.
The Golden Eagles began the tournament on a high note, earning a 5-3 victory over the Toledo Rockets on Friday. Tech opened up the scoring early with a one run lead after junior in fielder Hannah Eldridge's double allowed Kendall Hooper to score. Eldridge would bat Hooper in again in the third inning extending the lead to two. Tech would add three more runs to beat the Rockets 5-3, giving Tech its second win of the year.
The Golden Eagles also picked up a 6-5 win against Ohio on Friday. The Bobcats were looking for their ninth straight win. Tech scored two runs by way of a throwing error by an Ohio infielder .The Golden Eagles gained the lead 6-5 in the top of the eighth.
On Saturday, the team picked up another win against Campbell before falling to Northwestern State. In their meeting with Campbell, the Golden Eagles did not earn a run until the top of the seventh inning. The Golden Eagles were tied with the Fighting Camels until the ninth inning, when Tech scored two runs at the top of the inning. A final defensive stand in the bottom of the ninth closed the game for Tech.
The Golden Eagles faced the Northwestern State Lady Demons Saturday afternoon. The Lady Demons lit up the stat sheet with 11 hits and nine runs. An impressive defensive performance by Northwestern State held the Golden Eagles scoreless. The Lady Demons walked away with 9-0 tournament victory. They finished the tournament with a 1-0 win over Radford on Sunday. Sophomore Madison Taylor's homerun was the only run scored.
The Golden Eagles softball team will travel to East Carolina for a three game weekendseries. The team will begin the series with a double header on Saturday versus Conference USA's East Carolina Pirates. The first contest will begin at noon and the Golden Eagles will return to action at 2 p.m. The series will conclude with a game on Sunday beginning at 11 a.m. The Pirates are currently 8-4. The Golden Eagles are 5-8 overall on the season with nine home runs and a .222 batting average.
The Golden Eagles will be back in action on March 1 against Eastern Carolina.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Will next season be better for Golden Eagles?
- Campus placed on yellow status
- Ming Wang gives lecture on life, eye health, music
- Project Plans for new fitness center still being worked out
- Mechanical Engineering wins E-Week 2015
- Dodd represents Tech in USA tryout
- SGA approves S.O.L.O. funding for upcoming events
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes