American Idol and Sony to battle it out in court
Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and other "American Idol" winners' record label is suing Sony Music for $10 million for misusing royalties.
The complaint was filed in the New York federal court by 19 Recordings, a music company founded by "Idol" creator Simon Fuller.
"The suit focuses mainly on issues of accounting," according to Entertainment Weekly. "The complaint accuses Sony of treating master recordings streamed on services such as Spotify as 'sales' or 'distributions' rather than 'broadcasts' or 'transmissions.'"
By doing this, Sony is permitted to pay drastically less money than it should under the terms of its recording agreements.
"We did not want to have to file this lawsuit, but Sony left us no choice, so this became necessary to protect our artists," Jason Morey, 19 Entertainment's worldwide head of music, said. "Our complaint lays out the claims in great detail. Everything we have to say about the case is set forth in it."
Billboard said that Sony has been "systematically robbing them of millions of dollars in royalties" and somehow getting away with it for the past twelve years.
"Sony is among the larger music entities that have forged licensing deals with streaming services run by Spotify, Google and Apple," according to Billboard, making it an even bigger matter than before by tying in larger entities that rake in more profit for Sony Music.
The allegations are reciprocated, though, and are creating a controversy on both ends. Sony Music claims in some cases they have overpaid 19 Recordings.
As this story unfolds and clutches its results in the New York federal courtroom, be careful as to where your money is going when you purchase that $0.99 song. Your artist may be receiving an nth of what you expect.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World