American Idol and Sony to battle it out in court
Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and other "American Idol" winners' record label is suing Sony Music for $10 million for misusing royalties.
The complaint was filed in the New York federal court by 19 Recordings, a music company founded by "Idol" creator Simon Fuller.
"The suit focuses mainly on issues of accounting," according to Entertainment Weekly. "The complaint accuses Sony of treating master recordings streamed on services such as Spotify as 'sales' or 'distributions' rather than 'broadcasts' or 'transmissions.'"
By doing this, Sony is permitted to pay drastically less money than it should under the terms of its recording agreements.
"We did not want to have to file this lawsuit, but Sony left us no choice, so this became necessary to protect our artists," Jason Morey, 19 Entertainment's worldwide head of music, said. "Our complaint lays out the claims in great detail. Everything we have to say about the case is set forth in it."
Billboard said that Sony has been "systematically robbing them of millions of dollars in royalties" and somehow getting away with it for the past twelve years.
"Sony is among the larger music entities that have forged licensing deals with streaming services run by Spotify, Google and Apple," according to Billboard, making it an even bigger matter than before by tying in larger entities that rake in more profit for Sony Music.
The allegations are reciprocated, though, and are creating a controversy on both ends. Sony Music claims in some cases they have overpaid 19 Recordings.
As this story unfolds and clutches its results in the New York federal courtroom, be careful as to where your money is going when you purchase that $0.99 song. Your artist may be receiving an nth of what you expect.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Student body crowns Mr. and Miss Tennessee Tech
- Brewer, Sutton are selected for the OVC All-Tournament team
- Is the College Football Playoff selection committee making the right choices?
- Volpe Library website to change depending on survey results
- Former Reagan adviser to give talk through S.O.L.O. program
- Counseling Center and Volpe Library offer test anxiety workshop
- Shia LeBeouf gets personal in latest stunt
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Oleg Frish's Dream Comes True With New Duets Album
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Knowledge Gaps in Vaccination Against Meningococcal Disease
- Five Easy Steps to Own Holiday Shopping on a Budget
- CSUN Secular Student Alliance holds their first meeting
- Application Deadline Near for $100,000 Excellence in Innovation Award
- Voto Latino to Host Event on Climate Change Challenges & Opportunities