Cold reception for cold pastries at Starbucks
The Dixie College Building during Tech’s time as Dixie College in 1913. University Archives
In an effort to give a face-lift to its pastry cabinet, Starbucks has released a new collection of baked goods nationwide, which are now available here at our campus location.
"La Boulange is a San Francisco bakery and cafÃ© that has been serving artisanal pastries, and great food since 1996," according to the Starbucks website. "Sit tight and stay tuned as we expand the new 'La Boulange' baked goods across the country; it's well worth the wait."
The French baker Pascal ran this new line of food with pink in mind. The pastry cases are "lined with pink paper, and muffins and cookies will leave the store in pink 'La Boulange' bags also bearing the green Starbucks logo," according to the Seattle Times.
"It looks like a bad lingerie line," said an anonymous student.
On-campus worker Sarah Mapes said, "It's very different."
Tech Starbucks employee Jordynn Holm said there have been many complaints at other Starbucks locations, where people have said the pastries are "more fattening and smaller and don't taste good" but Holm said Starbucks has "been selling more than we ever have before."
The new pink "La Boulange" bags read, "Now served warm." However, this is, in fact, the opposite if visiting Tech's on-campus Starbucks.
"It says in plain sight, 'now served warm,'" employee Kimberly Smith said. "And we don't even have a warming station because we don't have enough room for it."
According to the employees, the back counters could not support a heating system, but they wish it did to better accommodate the new baked items.
"We have so many people who want their food warmed up," Smith said.
Students on campus, however, have reported little change.
"I have had the old kind of pastries," student Talal Almitairi said, "and they both taste the same. They just look different."
Student Saleh Alyami said, "I can't even remember the old ones."
Camila Leme said, "I usually don't buy food, but this brownie was affordable in price."
Employee Bryce Whittington said, "Even though the food has decreased in size, so has the price. It's a little bit easier on your wallet."
The pastries are available at Tech's on-campus location and at the Starbucks on Interstate Drive in Cookeville.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Purple Pride introduced to Cookeville preschoolers
- Street Preachers Return to South Patio
- Internet Outages affect campus productivity, Frontier fixes connectivity
- Flight Plan sets out to increase freshman retention
- Career Services plans for upcoming Oct. Career Fair
- Cookeville highlighted in 'Cookevegas' app
- Neon Trees to take stage in Hoop Tuesday
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections