'Biggest Loser' weight loss debate
Tech ROTC students participate in an aviation training exercise Feb. 16. Jacqueline Atkielski
Jaws dropped and looks of confusion plastered the faces of "The Biggest Loser" audience as 24-year-old Rachel Frederickson walked across the stage as the winner earlier this month. The looks of shock did not come from Frederickson winning the $250,000 grand prize, but rather the 105-pound frame that was accepting it.
Frederickson began the show at 250 pounds, causing her new weigh-in to be a 155-pound difference. Scores of tweets, blog posts and articles started releasing negative criticism toward Frederickson's new body as the finale aired.
"I am very healthy," she told People Magazine after being asked whether she had an eating disorder.
However, this blurb of assurance did not keep social media silent. "105 pounds? 60% loss? That's not healthy, by any definition. Hard to celebrate that." @DietsInReview tweeted after the telecast. @CarlJeanne also tweeted critically about Frederickson's figure, saying, "#BLFinale so disappointed in Rachel. Just unbelievable how far she took her weight loss with so many young girls watching her every move."
"Rachel passed all the required medical tests ensuring she was healthy," the show's executive producer, Dave Broome, guaranteed-in an effort to do some public relations on NBC's behalf.
Frederickson told Entertainment Weekly, "I've officially found that proud, confident girl that I lost. I was an athletic, national-level swimmer, and to have that athlete come back again, it's just truly an amazing feeling and I'm going to embrace the new me and continue this journey," she said. "My body is going to balance and find its way with the new maintenance and it will be perfect."
It's a refreshing feeling to know that despite social media's incessant nagging, Frederickson is okay with ignoring their commentary and proudly showing off her hard work.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership