Student Jennifer Nordhoff collects her printed papers at the library. Student printing allowance have been increased from $25 to $30 per semester. Brittany Stovall
I am starting to change the way I see things. I have truly begun to see politics and Christianity in a new light. Many of you know that I am against the government sticking their noses into the Church. I still am but I have a new view of how to put God back in our government. Take it back to the Old Testament.
God created governments. He created a method to help people live better lives through leadership. He even gave us examples of His people in politics. Joseph was a shepherd, sold into slavery, and rose to be Prime Minister of Egypt. He was wise and saved the known world from destruction during a season of great famine. King David was originally a shepherd boy anointed king. He was called "a man after God's own heart." Even when David sinned, he always sought repentance and counsel from God. He acted as more than just a king; he was a priest and minister to the people. How did he accomplish so much? He put his faith in God.
Isaiah 33:22 lays out the very foundation of our government system.
"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us," Isaiah 33:22.
God is our judge is the same as our judicial system. He is our lawgiver to our legislature. He is our king is the equivalent to the executive branch of government. God established how things are to be run and now we are working feverishly to remove any semblance of true order in our government. God made all things perfect and our founding fathers seemed to think the same thing, so they modeled our system of government after Him.
The Mosaic Law gave the Israelites two things: redemption and retribution. We have redemption through the saving grace of Jesus Christ and we have retribution through the government. Retribution means punishment for doing something wrong. So, we have laws defining what is right and wrong, judges who pass the judgment, and presidents/kings who authorize the punishment.
So, now that you had a definition lesson, let us look closer into the New Testament.
In Romans 13, we receive what seems to be the definition of a pastor, but if read correctly, we find that it is the definition of a minister of retribution.
"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. God has established the authorities that exist. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor." Romans13: 1-6 NIV.
The list is simple: authorized by God, ordained by God, dangerous to resist them, obey the law and you will be saved, he is a minister of God, bears not the sword in vain, worthy of honor and fear, pay them tribute (taxes/tithes), minister of retribution.
Thanks to my pastor's insight into the realm of politics, I have a new vision, or at least I see more clearly now than I ever have before.
To be God's servant in this capacity is scary, but if you put your trust and faith in Him, He will see you through.
Now, no matter what people try to say to me about how Christians should only pray, I can look at them and ask them why can't I act on my faith. We are to be doers of the word, not hearers only. Faith without works is dead.
Faith comes by hearing the word of God, but it is the doing that actually activates faith. We can't expect a corrupted government to do for us any longer. We have to get up and do something.
It is time to stop the hyper grace and hyper prosperity movement that has taught Christians to sit back and only pray and expect others to do for us. God is a God of action not just words, though his words do have power, power to do.
It is time for us to stand up and fight the good fight of faith in our government.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Tech Activities Board gears up for upcoming events
- Orientation and Student Success begins search for SOAs
- Ice Cream & Stroll event kicks off semester for NPHC
- Army ROTC hosts annual Gold Bar Golf Scramble to fundraise for yearly expences
- Fall Fun Fest brings food and fun to Cookeville square
- SGA reorganizes senators for Independent Programs
- Tech police roll out new parking plan with increased consequences
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS