Renowed activist Eve Ensler to come to Tech
World renowned author, activist, playwright and performer Eve Ensler will be coming to speak Monday, Feb. 10 at Derryberry Hall Auditorium at 7 p.m. Ensler will speak about her activism for women's rights, her lifelong dedication and her works for women's rights.
Her Tony Award-winning play, "The Vagina Monologues," has been performed eight times at the Backdoor Playhouse. Profits from each performance have benefited local violence prevention services.
The success of "The Vagina Monologues" allowed Ensler to create the global activist movement, V-Day, to end violence against women everywhere. The theme for 2014 is One Billion Rising for Justice and is centered on the fact that one in three women will be beaten or raped in their lifetime around the world.
"She chose us because we are involved during her movement," Diana Lalani, a member of the TTU Women's Center staff, said. "Because she's an artist, her work is inspiring and entertaining. It's not all scary stuff."
Lalani said Tech is fortunate to have Ensler speak and that she chose our invitation above many others.
Lydia Brown is a member of the Cookeville Vagina Warriors,a group of veteran Vagina Monologue actors. Brown said she feels like V-Day is a chance to get everyone out to show support and raise awareness.
"Women don't just need to be protected," Brown said. "We need to be empowered."
According to the V-Day website, the movement's mission is to create a "planet in which women will be free to thrive rather than survive."
The One Billion Rising for Justice Movement is not only about sexual assault; it is for any type of violence against women.
Ensler has been named among the "100 Most Influential Women" by The Guardian and is one of Newsweek's "150 Women Who Changed the World."
Her appearance is free and open to the public. The talk is a Center Stage event and is hosted by the Women's Center and Tech Players.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Tech Activities Board gears up for upcoming events
- Orientation and Student Success begins search for SOAs
- Ice Cream & Stroll event kicks off semester for NPHC
- Army ROTC hosts annual Gold Bar Golf Scramble to fundraise for yearly expences
- Fall Fun Fest brings food and fun to Cookeville square
- SGA reorganizes senators for Independent Programs
- Tech police roll out new parking plan with increased consequences
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- How to Overcome Your Smile Insecurities
- Bringing the Family Together At the Dinner Table
- Good Dental Care: Make It Safe
- Gran promesa latina lanza línea de moda para el...
- Cystic Fibrosis Breakthrough for Patients With Fungal...
- Millennials and Health Care
- Is Your Christmas Tree Up to the Task?
- Save Time and Money With a Mail-Order Pharmacy
- How to Store Your Warm Weather Gear for Winter Hibernation
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS
- beIN SPORTS ANNOUNCES 2016-17 CONFERENCE USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
- GoFundMe to Award $100,000 in College Scholarships