Residents of Tech Village doubt N. Willow safety
There is growing concern among Tech Village students regarding the state of traffic on North Willow Avenue. Some residents said they have begun to feel unsafe crossing four lanes of traffic to reach the laundry facility in the apartment complex.
Angela Anderson is a Tech student living in Tech Village.
"The crosswalk in front of the laundry facility is very unsecure," Anderson said. "It's pretty bad having to cross the road with heavy laundry when cars don't slow down most of the time."
There is an unmarked crosswalk on North Willow Avenue, and Tennessee state law mandates that vehicles must yield to pedestrians on unmarked crosswalks. Some students have asked for better indication that there are crosswalks on the street.
North Willow is part of Highway 136, and any changes to it are under control of the City of Cookeville Public Works department. Despite this, Chief of Tech Police Gay Shepherd said Tech does have a say in what happens with the road.
"Tech has a voice with what happens with the road just like we do with Dixie Avenue," said Shepherd. "It is, however, ultimately up to the city."
Some students have reported crossing the street halfway between the four lanes, and being ignored by cars even as they stood in the road.
"The only way to safely cross Willow Avenue is to go out of your way a great deal, or wait for a break in traffic," said former Tech Village resident Joshua Nichols.
Greg Brown, head of the Cookeville Department of Public Works, said the department has acknowledged the unsafe crosswalk.
"We have received a complaint about the crosswalks on North Willow and are currently in discussion with the state about getting official signage and making the crosswalks handicap accessible," Brown said. "We will either decide to make it official, or remove the unofficial crosswalk altogether, whichever seems to be the safest."
Until a formal decision has been made, students are recommended to use the official crosswalk at the intersection of North Willow Avenue and Circle Drive.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus