Phi Delta Theta brother arrested on multiple charges
A Phi Delta Theta brother was charged with public intoxication and resisting arrest after an altercation that left one Cookeville police officer injured.
On Saturday, April 5 at 8:26 p.m., Cookeville police officers Ryan Acuff and Kenneth Frye responded to a complaint concerning two males fighting on North Peachtree Avenue.
Upon arrival to the scene, the officers were forced to wrestle suspect James Curtis Boggs to the ground after he refused officers orders and was unfazed by their Tasers, according to the Cookeville Police report.
The police report stated that during the struggle, Boggs bent a pair of handcuffs Acuff used to restrain him. Acuff then pepper sprayed Boggs, which had no effect.
Officer Acuff requested back up from Sergeant James Harris, Officer Daniel Trivette and Officer Roy Chesnut.
With the help of the other officers, Boggs was eventually contained by handcuffs and was taken to Cookeville Regional Medical Center to be restrained with the help of emergency room staff.
While the incident occurred in front of the newly opened Sigma Alpha Epsilon house, no involvement from within that fraternity was reported.
Tech's Greek Life coordinator Katie Williams said, "Each individual fraternity has their own standards for membership," said Williams. "Whether it is some sort of sanction against the member or removal of the member, it just depends on what their bylaws say and what they can do in situations like these."
According to the police report, Boggs later admitted to police officers that he was under the influence of LSD.
Once released, Boggs was booked at the Putnam County Jail and was charged with public intoxication and resisting arrest.
Frye was also treated at the hospital around the same time for a fractured knee, which was a result of the resistance with Boggs.
Acuff also received a few scratches along with a torn uniform.
Frye received treatment from an orthopedic doctor on Monday, April 7.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Football receives two OVC Player of the Week honors in win against Murray State
- Volleyball falls short against Jacksonville State in OVC home opener
- Men's golf takes silver at Murray State Invitational
- Pace's Perspective: First OVC win gives Golden Eagles some spark
- Is class canceled? (Spoiler alert: no)
- Athletics Marketing runs football promotions
- TAB Tuesday returns
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Amazon Student Celebrates Fall with Exclusive Deals and Scholarships
- Event: Panel Discussion for Student Media
- All-New National Student Day Contest Opens Today
- Calling All College Football Fans: Samsung Milk Music Now Live Streaming Home and Away Feeds of NCAA Football Games
- Golden Door Scholars Expands Reach of College Scholarship Program for High-Performing Undocumented Students