Phi Delta Theta brother arrested on multiple charges
A Phi Delta Theta brother was charged with public intoxication and resisting arrest after an altercation that left one Cookeville police officer injured.
On Saturday, April 5 at 8:26 p.m., Cookeville police officers Ryan Acuff and Kenneth Frye responded to a complaint concerning two males fighting on North Peachtree Avenue.
Upon arrival to the scene, the officers were forced to wrestle suspect James Curtis Boggs to the ground after he refused officers orders and was unfazed by their Tasers, according to the Cookeville Police report.
The police report stated that during the struggle, Boggs bent a pair of handcuffs Acuff used to restrain him. Acuff then pepper sprayed Boggs, which had no effect.
Officer Acuff requested back up from Sergeant James Harris, Officer Daniel Trivette and Officer Roy Chesnut.
With the help of the other officers, Boggs was eventually contained by handcuffs and was taken to Cookeville Regional Medical Center to be restrained with the help of emergency room staff.
While the incident occurred in front of the newly opened Sigma Alpha Epsilon house, no involvement from within that fraternity was reported.
Tech's Greek Life coordinator Katie Williams said, "Each individual fraternity has their own standards for membership," said Williams. "Whether it is some sort of sanction against the member or removal of the member, it just depends on what their bylaws say and what they can do in situations like these."
According to the police report, Boggs later admitted to police officers that he was under the influence of LSD.
Once released, Boggs was booked at the Putnam County Jail and was charged with public intoxication and resisting arrest.
Frye was also treated at the hospital around the same time for a fractured knee, which was a result of the resistance with Boggs.
Acuff also received a few scratches along with a torn uniform.
Frye received treatment from an orthopedic doctor on Monday, April 7.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Factors surrounding SOLO concert cause early August vote
- 'Stranger Things' continues Netflix's reign of originality
- Radiohead Welcomes The Past With 'Burn The Witch'
- Oldham and Haslam host forum for campus body about FOCUS act
- ‘I Heart Tech’ week to begin during Tech’s dead week
- Student survey measures campus sustainability
- Public Relations club pairs with Cookeville Fire Department to install smoke...
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Peace of Mind in Retirement
- Florida Remains Launch Pad to Space Thanks to Private Firms
- 9 out of 10 Americans More Likely to Come to London...
- Meeting the Health Care Needs of Next-Generation Consumers
- Katy Perry Helps Support Teachers and Students
- The Great Divide: Balancing Travel and Protecting...
- What Would It Take to Get You to the Dentist?
- Say Cheese! How What You Eat Affects Your Smile
- Headed to the Dentist? Beware of Backflow
- Student Backpacks Are Literally a Big Pain