Finals, end of semester stresses prompt influx of students at Health Services
With finals just around the corner, Tech Health Services has seen an increase in students suffering from stress and lack of sleep.
"At the end of semester, we always have people that have waited to the end of the semester to say they're drowning, meaning failing their classes and stressing out," Scott Bilbrey, Health Services men's health coordinator and registered nurse, said. "By that time, you've waited too long and the health service refers those people to the Counseling Center."
Health Services has no way to treat stress created by procrastination, so they ask students to come in earlier if they need help. If a student is having troubling sleeping, he or she can get a medical evaluation to determine any medical issues that could be causing the problem.
"We are connected with counseling center through Student Affairs because we are a student service," Bilbrey said. "What they [Counseling Center] stress is 'don't wait until finals to get help.' They'll still try to help, but it's really difficult at the end."
There are now three weeks left until finals and the biggest tip from the Counseling Center is to better time management.
Cynthia Bryant, Counseling Center assistant director, suggests listing each class and work on what is needed to finish the semester.
"Make a plan and do what you can," Bryant said. "Study now and divide up your time and don't wait until the night before finals to study. Take advantage of any study sessions, online resources. Contact professors about any questions. I have lots of materials regarding studying, preparing for finals."
The Counseling Center can discuss ideas to help with sleep, including relaxation techniques, good nutrition and preparation for bed. The center recommends that students come in when they begin to have trouble dealing with schoolwork, instead of waiting.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- University unveils Tech wall and new logo
- SGA to create focus committees after receiving results from student vote
- Chase Rice wins S.O.L.O. vote for Spring 2016
- IT services relocates location in Volpe Library
- Backdoor Playhouse and Jere Whitson renovations continue through Fall 2017
- New pavilion opens to aid intramural staff with organization
- University room reservation moves to new online system
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Hope for Sufferers of Myofascial Pain?
- A Delicious and Warm Pear Salad for Winter
- Major Maryland Piano Store to Close Its Doors
- A Better Valentine's Day Gift for Couples?
- Crowdfunding's Latest Effort: Preventing Youth Sports...
- El Regalo Ideal Para Cualquier Etapa De Tu Relación
- Seeing a Chiropractor First Can Save You Money
- Flu Season Has Arrived: Helpful Tips to Prevent the...
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?
- GlobalGiving and Athletic Tips Partner to Help Keep Young...