Former Tech basketball star Murphy gets NBA nod
Kevin Murphy, who led Tech last year with 20.6 points/game, will take his talents to Salt Lake City this year as a player for the NBA’s Utah Jazz. Murphy signed a two-year deal in June. NBA.com
Former Tech men's basketball player Kevin Murphy starts his first professional season in the NBA this fall with the Utah Jazz.
Murphy came to Tech as a freshman in 2008 from Creekside High School in Fairburn, Ga. He spent all four of his college years at Tech, majoring in general curriculum.
Murphy graduated from Tech in May 2012, and by June he had signed a two-year professional basketball contract with the Utah Jazz.
He was the 47th overall pick in the draft, landing him the third highest NBA Draft pick in Tech's history.
Murphy is the first Tech athlete to sign an NBA contract since John Best in 1993.
According to TTUSports.com, Murphy said, "I'm really looking to come in here and show all the doubters that said I couldn't make it, I couldn't play, or that I was going to be a bust, that I can do it."
In Murphy's four years as a starting forward for Tech, he accomplished a record of 2,019 career points in 128 games, making him the 14th overall record holder in Ohio Valley Conference history. His highest point average in a single game was 50 points against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
"I'm excited for him," Terrell Barnes, senior on Tech's men's basketball team and former teammate of Murphy, said. "I think it's a great opportunity, and I think he will do great things."
Murphy participated in the NBA Summer League in Orlando, Fla. He played for five days in July and averaged a score of 8.6 points a game, which he played a minimum of 20 minutes per game.
Murphy's professional season with the Utah Jazz will open the 2012-2013 season against Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas Mavericks at the EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Murphy's college basketball number, 55, will carry over to his new team this season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor