Former Tech basketball star Murphy gets NBA nod
Kevin Murphy, who led Tech last year with 20.6 points/game, will take his talents to Salt Lake City this year as a player for the NBA’s Utah Jazz. Murphy signed a two-year deal in June. NBA.com
Former Tech men's basketball player Kevin Murphy starts his first professional season in the NBA this fall with the Utah Jazz.
Murphy came to Tech as a freshman in 2008 from Creekside High School in Fairburn, Ga. He spent all four of his college years at Tech, majoring in general curriculum.
Murphy graduated from Tech in May 2012, and by June he had signed a two-year professional basketball contract with the Utah Jazz.
He was the 47th overall pick in the draft, landing him the third highest NBA Draft pick in Tech's history.
Murphy is the first Tech athlete to sign an NBA contract since John Best in 1993.
According to TTUSports.com, Murphy said, "I'm really looking to come in here and show all the doubters that said I couldn't make it, I couldn't play, or that I was going to be a bust, that I can do it."
In Murphy's four years as a starting forward for Tech, he accomplished a record of 2,019 career points in 128 games, making him the 14th overall record holder in Ohio Valley Conference history. His highest point average in a single game was 50 points against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
"I'm excited for him," Terrell Barnes, senior on Tech's men's basketball team and former teammate of Murphy, said. "I think it's a great opportunity, and I think he will do great things."
Murphy participated in the NBA Summer League in Orlando, Fla. He played for five days in July and averaged a score of 8.6 points a game, which he played a minimum of 20 minutes per game.
Murphy's professional season with the Utah Jazz will open the 2012-2013 season against Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas Mavericks at the EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Murphy's college basketball number, 55, will carry over to his new team this season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections