Former Tech basketball star Murphy gets NBA nod
Kevin Murphy, who led Tech last year with 20.6 points/game, will take his talents to Salt Lake City this year as a player for the NBA’s Utah Jazz. Murphy signed a two-year deal in June. NBA.com
Former Tech men's basketball player Kevin Murphy starts his first professional season in the NBA this fall with the Utah Jazz.
Murphy came to Tech as a freshman in 2008 from Creekside High School in Fairburn, Ga. He spent all four of his college years at Tech, majoring in general curriculum.
Murphy graduated from Tech in May 2012, and by June he had signed a two-year professional basketball contract with the Utah Jazz.
He was the 47th overall pick in the draft, landing him the third highest NBA Draft pick in Tech's history.
Murphy is the first Tech athlete to sign an NBA contract since John Best in 1993.
According to TTUSports.com, Murphy said, "I'm really looking to come in here and show all the doubters that said I couldn't make it, I couldn't play, or that I was going to be a bust, that I can do it."
In Murphy's four years as a starting forward for Tech, he accomplished a record of 2,019 career points in 128 games, making him the 14th overall record holder in Ohio Valley Conference history. His highest point average in a single game was 50 points against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
"I'm excited for him," Terrell Barnes, senior on Tech's men's basketball team and former teammate of Murphy, said. "I think it's a great opportunity, and I think he will do great things."
Murphy participated in the NBA Summer League in Orlando, Fla. He played for five days in July and averaged a score of 8.6 points a game, which he played a minimum of 20 minutes per game.
Murphy's professional season with the Utah Jazz will open the 2012-2013 season against Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas Mavericks at the EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Murphy's college basketball number, 55, will carry over to his new team this season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Tech Activities Board gears up for upcoming events
- Orientation and Student Success begins search for SOAs
- Ice Cream & Stroll event kicks off semester for NPHC
- Army ROTC hosts annual Gold Bar Golf Scramble to fundraise for yearly expences
- Fall Fun Fest brings food and fun to Cookeville square
- SGA reorganizes senators for Independent Programs
- Tech police roll out new parking plan with increased consequences
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum