Former Tech basketball star Murphy gets NBA nod
Kevin Murphy, who led Tech last year with 20.6 points/game, will take his talents to Salt Lake City this year as a player for the NBA’s Utah Jazz. Murphy signed a two-year deal in June. NBA.com
Former Tech men's basketball player Kevin Murphy starts his first professional season in the NBA this fall with the Utah Jazz.
Murphy came to Tech as a freshman in 2008 from Creekside High School in Fairburn, Ga. He spent all four of his college years at Tech, majoring in general curriculum.
Murphy graduated from Tech in May 2012, and by June he had signed a two-year professional basketball contract with the Utah Jazz.
He was the 47th overall pick in the draft, landing him the third highest NBA Draft pick in Tech's history.
Murphy is the first Tech athlete to sign an NBA contract since John Best in 1993.
According to TTUSports.com, Murphy said, "I'm really looking to come in here and show all the doubters that said I couldn't make it, I couldn't play, or that I was going to be a bust, that I can do it."
In Murphy's four years as a starting forward for Tech, he accomplished a record of 2,019 career points in 128 games, making him the 14th overall record holder in Ohio Valley Conference history. His highest point average in a single game was 50 points against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
"I'm excited for him," Terrell Barnes, senior on Tech's men's basketball team and former teammate of Murphy, said. "I think it's a great opportunity, and I think he will do great things."
Murphy participated in the NBA Summer League in Orlando, Fla. He played for five days in July and averaged a score of 8.6 points a game, which he played a minimum of 20 minutes per game.
Murphy's professional season with the Utah Jazz will open the 2012-2013 season against Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas Mavericks at the EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Murphy's college basketball number, 55, will carry over to his new team this season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Volleyball serves up OVC success
- Quidditch takes down a dozen in Gold Cup
- Awesome Eagle hits Smashville as guest mascot at Thursday's Predators game
- Craft beer festival brews up good times in Dogwood Park
- Craven has a cravin' for good, local craft beer
- Where are there ghosts on campus?
- Area haunted attractions bring fun, horror to all ages
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!