Starting the season off hot
The Tennessee Tech baseball team is off to a hot start this season as it begin its 2014 season at 8-1 after defeating Lipscomb Tuesday afternoon.
On Tuesday, the Golden Eagles went head to head against the Lipscomb Bison, winning with a walk-off hit ending the game at 10-9. Senior Zach Zarzour took the Lipscomb win as a test for the Golden Eagles.
"It was a test of our character to come back from large deficits at multiple points in the game," said Zarzour. "We stayed positive and believed in the talent we have as a team and got the job done."
The Golden Eagles were down more than once with multiple errors within the first four innings.
As the Golden Eagle offense started to catch, Zarzour batted first in the bottom of the fourth, bringing in a six-pitch walk. Immediately following, third baseman Daniel Miles hit a long ball to center field, resulting in a base hit.
Tech was finally on the board after junior Dylan Bosheers hit a single to center field and a hit by Jordan Hopkins brought in another run. Both David Allen and Jordan Parris brought in hits in the fourth, putting the Golden Eagles at a 4-4 tie with the Bison going into the fifth.
The Bison answered back with four more runs on five hits at the top of the fifth. In the bottom half, the Golden Eagles fought back, bringing in two hits to put the Golden Eagles at a two hit deficit. After two runs by Allen and Hopkins, the match was tied at the bottom of the fifth.
After an early hit at the top of the sixth, Lipscomb held the Golden Eagles at 9-8 throughout the sixth and seventh innings. With runners on second and third, Bosheers batted in Hunter Hudson off a 2-2 pitch deep to right field. Bottom of the ninth with bases loaded, junior outfielder Connor Godspeed hit a long fly ball to right field driving in the winning run.
Over the weekend, the Golden Eagles brought home the sweep after playing a four game series against the New York Institute of Technology Bears.
The Golden Eagles offense racked up a total of 55 hits against the Bears. Leading the Golden Eagles offense was junior David Allen, who went 3-for-3 in the final contest, with three RBIs, two runs scored and one base stolen. Allen attributes the four game win to the powerful Golden Eagle roster.
"We have guys that constantly get on base and then other guys that can hit the ball harder than anyone else in our," said Allen. "When our offense puts up double digit runs in the NYIT games, it takes a lot of stress off our pitchers, which, in turn, helps our pitchers dominate the opposing hitters. That was a major factor in our four game sweep."
This weekend, the Golden Eagles will return to the diamond on Friday for a three game matchup against Big Ten member Northwestern at home.
The Northwestern Wildcats are 2-5 this season after a recent loss to Ball State.
The Golden Eagles are expected to start pitchers Chris Chism, John Gora and David Hess over the weekend against Joe Schindler, Matt Portland, and Reed Mason.
"I'm very excited," Hess said. "They're coming in with a good team that is looking for some big road wins. I feel that we are well prepared and as long as we go out and play our game, we should come away with some wins."
The first pitch is at 3 p.m. on Friday at Bush Stadium. Admission to Tech baseball games is free and open to all fans.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Volleyball serves up OVC success
- Quidditch takes down a dozen in Gold Cup
- Awesome Eagle hits Smashville as guest mascot at Thursday's Predators game
- Craft beer festival brews up good times in Dogwood Park
- Craven has a cravin' for good, local craft beer
- Where are there ghosts on campus?
- Area haunted attractions bring fun, horror to all ages
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR