"The freedom of speech and expression doesn't mean they are entitled to a platform."
Brett Windrow, History Major
Sarah Dingwall's string of articles, at least as long as I've been reading it, have been nothing but radical Christian rhetoric and thinly veiled fundamentalist proselytizing. Her latest article, a non-story about a man banned on Facebook for homophobic comments, only confirms this while further ingraining negative stereotypes about her religion, state, and nation.
The crux of Ms. Dingwall's article is that Christianity, the most followed, influential, and politically connected religion in the U.S., is somehow in danger of being unconstitutionally persecuted to extinction. For one thing, she makes the mistake as those devotees of the reactionary Phil Robertson.
The freedom of speech and expression doesn't mean they are entitled to a platform for those opinions, particularly if said opinions resemble those of a particularly homophobic 5-year-old, for Phil, the man on Facebook, or even Sarah.
But the real reason for articles like Ms. Dingwall's is to simply feed some sense of righteous persecution. If getting kicked off a website and having your opinions called stupid is grounds to claim persecution, everyone from Playstation fanboys to black mask anarchists could (and do) claim the same. It seems that the Christian right, since the age of Reagan, has become so powerful that those included have to magnify the most minuscule slight to fulfill the sense of hardship required to be a real Christian.
On a more local level, her unobjective, anti-intellectual articles threaten to discredit the entire newspaper. The newspaper obviously needs balance but, honestly, I'd be ashamed if someone like her was representing my ideology. There are conservatives on campus several times smarter and more articulate than she. I recommend she debate real issues in a logical way or the newspaper find another columnist.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Baseball's struggles continue with two midweek losses
- Rugby wins runner-up Dixie conference trophy
- Liberatore has record day with 16 strikeouts
- Hospital assault leads to campus safety alerts
- Tech confessions posts student Eagle Card information
- SGA suspends campus safety bill
- Tech students arrested for drug related charges
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How to Make Outdoor Spaces as Beautiful and Comfortable...
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...