"The freedom of speech and expression doesn't mean they are entitled to a platform."
Brett Windrow, History Major
Sarah Dingwall's string of articles, at least as long as I've been reading it, have been nothing but radical Christian rhetoric and thinly veiled fundamentalist proselytizing. Her latest article, a non-story about a man banned on Facebook for homophobic comments, only confirms this while further ingraining negative stereotypes about her religion, state, and nation.
The crux of Ms. Dingwall's article is that Christianity, the most followed, influential, and politically connected religion in the U.S., is somehow in danger of being unconstitutionally persecuted to extinction. For one thing, she makes the mistake as those devotees of the reactionary Phil Robertson.
The freedom of speech and expression doesn't mean they are entitled to a platform for those opinions, particularly if said opinions resemble those of a particularly homophobic 5-year-old, for Phil, the man on Facebook, or even Sarah.
But the real reason for articles like Ms. Dingwall's is to simply feed some sense of righteous persecution. If getting kicked off a website and having your opinions called stupid is grounds to claim persecution, everyone from Playstation fanboys to black mask anarchists could (and do) claim the same. It seems that the Christian right, since the age of Reagan, has become so powerful that those included have to magnify the most minuscule slight to fulfill the sense of hardship required to be a real Christian.
On a more local level, her unobjective, anti-intellectual articles threaten to discredit the entire newspaper. The newspaper obviously needs balance but, honestly, I'd be ashamed if someone like her was representing my ideology. There are conservatives on campus several times smarter and more articulate than she. I recommend she debate real issues in a logical way or the newspaper find another columnist.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'