"The freedom of speech and expression doesn't mean they are entitled to a platform."
Brett Windrow, History Major
Sarah Dingwall's string of articles, at least as long as I've been reading it, have been nothing but radical Christian rhetoric and thinly veiled fundamentalist proselytizing. Her latest article, a non-story about a man banned on Facebook for homophobic comments, only confirms this while further ingraining negative stereotypes about her religion, state, and nation.
The crux of Ms. Dingwall's article is that Christianity, the most followed, influential, and politically connected religion in the U.S., is somehow in danger of being unconstitutionally persecuted to extinction. For one thing, she makes the mistake as those devotees of the reactionary Phil Robertson.
The freedom of speech and expression doesn't mean they are entitled to a platform for those opinions, particularly if said opinions resemble those of a particularly homophobic 5-year-old, for Phil, the man on Facebook, or even Sarah.
But the real reason for articles like Ms. Dingwall's is to simply feed some sense of righteous persecution. If getting kicked off a website and having your opinions called stupid is grounds to claim persecution, everyone from Playstation fanboys to black mask anarchists could (and do) claim the same. It seems that the Christian right, since the age of Reagan, has become so powerful that those included have to magnify the most minuscule slight to fulfill the sense of hardship required to be a real Christian.
On a more local level, her unobjective, anti-intellectual articles threaten to discredit the entire newspaper. The newspaper obviously needs balance but, honestly, I'd be ashamed if someone like her was representing my ideology. There are conservatives on campus several times smarter and more articulate than she. I recommend she debate real issues in a logical way or the newspaper find another columnist.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Student body crowns Mr. and Miss Tennessee Tech
- Brewer, Sutton are selected for the OVC All-Tournament team
- Is the College Football Playoff selection committee making the right choices?
- Volpe Library website to change depending on survey results
- Former Reagan adviser to give talk through S.O.L.O. program
- Counseling Center and Volpe Library offer test anxiety workshop
- Shia LeBeouf gets personal in latest stunt
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
- Shopping for a New Sofa? Keep These Design Tips in Mind