'She Kills Monsters' preview
Tech's Backdoor Playhouse will host a different kind of play for its spring production.
"She Kills Monsters" is a comedy-drama about a woman who finds her recently deceased sister's Dungeons and Dragons notebook and sets on a journey in the imaginary world of the game.
"I read the play and immediately fell in love with it," director of the play Mark Creter said. "The dialogue is smart, the characters are rich and funny, and the central message of how often we don't know our family and the importance of finding the tribe we need really speaks to me."
Creter said he was more interested in the play because of his own experience with comic books and pencil and paper role-playing games. In the late 1970s, he played Empire of the Petal Throne, then graduated to Dungeons and Dragons in the 80s.
"I drifted away from D&D in adulthood so it has been fun getting reacquainted with that world by working on this play," said Creter.
Creter is confident that anyone can enjoy the production, though.
"This play is about family and friends and the importance of finding your place in the world," Creter said. "The play is tremendously funny and smart. I think it will be a fun evening for everyone.
"The success of 'The Rocky Horror Show' allows me to take chances on producing less well known works such as 'She Kills Monsters,' so I hope we see big crowds for this as well," said Creter.
"She Kills Monsters," written by Qui Nguyen, will be shown at the Backdoor Playhouse April 3-12 and is free to all Tech students.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Oldham and Haslam host forum for campus body about FOCUS act
- ‘I Heart Tech’ week to begin during Tech’s dead week
- Student survey measures campus sustainability
- Public Relations club pairs with Cookeville Fire Department to install smoke...
- Barketing in the Quad to aide Putnam County Animal Shelter
- ‘The Jungle Book’ stands as Disney’s fi rst truly stunning, faithful...
- Softball defeats TSU twice in three game series at home
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
- Congress Should Make It Easier for Taxpayers Who Still...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT