Students begin to sell invention in book store
Mechanical engineering majors Kyle Bieze and Scott Hill have invented a solution to space issues affecting residential life residents on campus.
It's a small wooden table with a metal arm that hangs off the frame of the beds found in Tech's dorms. Bieze and Hill call it The Tech Table.
Bieze made a prototype with iron vice, pipes and wood. After this, Hill became involved and made a product close to what is being sold now. The current Tech Table has a metal arm with three screws holding it to the wooden frame. The metal arm has a hook so it can be safely attached to the bed frame utilized in the dorms on campus.
"When sleeping on an elevated bed, it becomes a challenge to find a decent area to leave an alarm clock or set down a pair of glasses before falling asleep," said Bieze. "The first draft of the soon to be Tech Table solved practically all of the problems I had while sleeping on a lofted bed."
Bieze and Hill aren't limiting themselves to Tech's campus.
"We identified schools that had the same bedframes that our school has so that the tables would work on them and pretty much across the board," said Hill. "Most states schools have them."
The pair claims they have sold models to Austin Peay and Middle Tennessee State University and have their sights set on other schools within the state.
The Tech Table is designed to be a night stand without losing the floor space and can hold up to 20 pounds.
"They can hold anything you want to put by a bed," said Bieze. "You can't hold a mini fridge on it but you can hold anything from a smart phone to a laptop to a lamp."
The Tech Table is currently for sale in the campus bookstore for around $30.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Tech Activities Board gears up for upcoming events
- Orientation and Student Success begins search for SOAs
- Ice Cream & Stroll event kicks off semester for NPHC
- Army ROTC hosts annual Gold Bar Golf Scramble to fundraise for yearly expences
- Fall Fun Fest brings food and fun to Cookeville square
- SGA reorganizes senators for Independent Programs
- Tech police roll out new parking plan with increased consequences
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
- How to Protect Your Data in a Connected World
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates