Students begin to sell invention in book store
Mechanical engineering majors Kyle Bieze and Scott Hill have invented a solution to space issues affecting residential life residents on campus.
It's a small wooden table with a metal arm that hangs off the frame of the beds found in Tech's dorms. Bieze and Hill call it The Tech Table.
Bieze made a prototype with iron vice, pipes and wood. After this, Hill became involved and made a product close to what is being sold now. The current Tech Table has a metal arm with three screws holding it to the wooden frame. The metal arm has a hook so it can be safely attached to the bed frame utilized in the dorms on campus.
"When sleeping on an elevated bed, it becomes a challenge to find a decent area to leave an alarm clock or set down a pair of glasses before falling asleep," said Bieze. "The first draft of the soon to be Tech Table solved practically all of the problems I had while sleeping on a lofted bed."
Bieze and Hill aren't limiting themselves to Tech's campus.
"We identified schools that had the same bedframes that our school has so that the tables would work on them and pretty much across the board," said Hill. "Most states schools have them."
The pair claims they have sold models to Austin Peay and Middle Tennessee State University and have their sights set on other schools within the state.
The Tech Table is designed to be a night stand without losing the floor space and can hold up to 20 pounds.
"They can hold anything you want to put by a bed," said Bieze. "You can't hold a mini fridge on it but you can hold anything from a smart phone to a laptop to a lamp."
The Tech Table is currently for sale in the campus bookstore for around $30.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Student body crowns Mr. and Miss Tennessee Tech
- Brewer, Sutton are selected for the OVC All-Tournament team
- Is the College Football Playoff selection committee making the right choices?
- Volpe Library website to change depending on survey results
- Former Reagan adviser to give talk through S.O.L.O. program
- Counseling Center and Volpe Library offer test anxiety workshop
- Shia LeBeouf gets personal in latest stunt
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
- Shopping for a New Sofa? Keep These Design Tips in Mind