Students begin to sell invention in book store
Mechanical engineering majors Kyle Bieze and Scott Hill have invented a solution to space issues affecting residential life residents on campus.
It's a small wooden table with a metal arm that hangs off the frame of the beds found in Tech's dorms. Bieze and Hill call it The Tech Table.
Bieze made a prototype with iron vice, pipes and wood. After this, Hill became involved and made a product close to what is being sold now. The current Tech Table has a metal arm with three screws holding it to the wooden frame. The metal arm has a hook so it can be safely attached to the bed frame utilized in the dorms on campus.
"When sleeping on an elevated bed, it becomes a challenge to find a decent area to leave an alarm clock or set down a pair of glasses before falling asleep," said Bieze. "The first draft of the soon to be Tech Table solved practically all of the problems I had while sleeping on a lofted bed."
Bieze and Hill aren't limiting themselves to Tech's campus.
"We identified schools that had the same bedframes that our school has so that the tables would work on them and pretty much across the board," said Hill. "Most states schools have them."
The pair claims they have sold models to Austin Peay and Middle Tennessee State University and have their sights set on other schools within the state.
The Tech Table is designed to be a night stand without losing the floor space and can hold up to 20 pounds.
"They can hold anything you want to put by a bed," said Bieze. "You can't hold a mini fridge on it but you can hold anything from a smart phone to a laptop to a lamp."
The Tech Table is currently for sale in the campus bookstore for around $30.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Radiohead Welcomes The Past With 'Burn The Witch'
- Oldham and Haslam host forum for campus body about FOCUS act
- ‘I Heart Tech’ week to begin during Tech’s dead week
- Student survey measures campus sustainability
- Public Relations club pairs with Cookeville Fire Department to install smoke...
- Barketing in the Quad to aide Putnam County Animal Shelter
- ‘The Jungle Book’ stands as Disney’s fi rst truly stunning, faithful...
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
- Rolling Stones Exhibit Rocks Music Fans
- Enhance Your Summer Look With These Style Tips
- Hearing Loss Takes Center Stage With Free Test
- The Big Showdown Over Fingerprinting Uber and Lyft Drivers
- Encryption - Why It Matters to You
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere