Henderson, Golden Eagles bounce early
The Golden Eagles women's basketball team (12-18, 9-7) ended its season on March 6 in the opening round of the Ohio Valley Conference tournament against Jacksonville State. The loss came on a game winning layup from the Gamecocks in the closing seconds. The 57-56 loss abruptly finished the women's up and down season.
Junior guard Diamond Henderson finished the game with 21 points and six assists, capping off her stellar third year. Though the season did not finish the way she and the team expected it to, next year holds great prospect for them.
"Things went much unexpected in the tournament," said Henderson. "I don't think anyone was prepared for losing by a buzzer beater. I feel good about this group for next year; we have a lot of hard workers and great recruits coming in."
Henderson's 19.7 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game average helped her garner First Team All-OVC honors. This is her second year in a row receiving this honor.
"For me, making OVC First-Team is just proving people wrong," said Henderson. "It's another stepping stone in my career that's getting me ready for what's next in my life. Not many people have the work ethic to be able to score 1,000 points in two years. I'm really blessed to be a part of this."
Along with the return of Henderson, the team's leading post player, Candace Parson, will be returning for her senior year. Also, returning next season after injuries are T'Keyah Williams and Shunice Herron. Expect the Golden Eagles to be very competitive in the OVC next year.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Oracle News Articles
Recent The Oracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE ORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE ORACLE NEWS
RECENT THE ORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care