Softball drops two at JSU
The Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles softball team (8-21, 0-3) fell to the Jacksonville State Gamecocks over the weekend in its first OVC matchup of the season.
Early deficits were to be the Golden Eagles' downfall in Saturday's doubleheader. In both matches, the Golden Eagles allowed five runs within just the first inning
The Golden Eagles were only able to notch two hits in game one, one by senior Kendall Hooper, the other by sophomore Courtney Fry, but never got on the board. The contest ended 9-0.
Two Golden Eagles errors helped the Gamecocks to go up 5-0 in the first inning of game two. Fighting back, the Golden Eagles managed four runs in the third but that was all they would earn. The Gamecocks dominated the remaining innings and finished the game 17-4.
On Sunday, the Golden Eagles looked much better. In the top of the sixth, with the score tied at one, junior Angi Sakamoro and Hooper hit back-to-back solo home runs. The Gamecocks, however, spoiled the party in the seventh with a walk-off 3-run home run.
"We will win this weekend, I'm sure of it. We just need to play seven full innings of offense and defense," said Hooper. "I expect us to go nowhere but up from here."
The Golden Eagles will return to Cookeville to take on SIU Edwardsville on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. and Eastern Illinois on March 23 at noon. Both days are doubleheader matchups.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Oracle News Articles
Recent The Oracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE ORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE ORACLE NEWS
RECENT THE ORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care