Talks of hammock club circulating among students on campus
Seniors Lee Henry and Adam Liberatore each threw shutouts against EIU. Sports Information
Have a love for the outdoors, napping and suspending yourself several feet off the ground?
You're not alone.
As it turns out, there is a group of students who all have a similar goal: to start a hammocking group on Tech's campus.
Student Joey Blankenship said the day is considered a good one if the sun is directly above, the air has a slight chill and you're hanging from a tree limb.
"I had an interest in starting a hammock club at my old college," Blankenship said. "There were about 15 of us who would hammock together on a daily basis.
"But, here I haven't quite found my sweet spot yet."
Students like Blankenship are scattered on campus, but are looking for others to join them in an effort to unify a hammocking club.
Student Charlie Jordan also has interest in the club.
"I would so join in on all the action," Jordan said. "'Action' defined as laying in my hammock."
Jordan said he thinks there were would be a great deal of interest in the club.
"I do think others would join the group because why not?" Jordan said.
Blankenships' wife BrontÃ is an avid hammocker, as well.
"People would join a club like that," BrontÃ Blankenship said. "You can see tons of hammocks around campus on a pretty day."
"Hammocking is the greatest," Joey Blankenship said. "It's rivaled only by hammocking with cool people."
Student Kevin Kimbro said he hadn't put much thought into starting a club, but believes joining one would be fun. He said that "if there were an abundance of trees in a cluster," students would have all they need to start one up.
When it comes to activities for this prospective group, students had numerous attention-grabbing ideas.
"Group activities would consist of making four tier hammock relaxation stations," Jordan said, "and doing crazy things like filling a tree full of hammockers."
"We would play Frisbee golf, ultimate Frisbee, hiking, backpacking, rock climbing," Joey Blankenship said. "Anything with nature and plastic discs, basically."
Kimbro suggested going to Bee Rock or other nature sites.
Few strict rules have been mentioned in the planning stages of the organization.
"A love for the outdoors, some spare time and a willingness to explore," Joey Blankenship said.
"You must have a love for hammocking and relaxing," BrontÃ Blankenship said.
Jordan said an obvious obligation would be the basic equipment.
"A hammock," Jordan said. "I like my eno. They are incredibly well-made hammocks. I recommend the double nest so that there is always room for one more!"
If you're interested in joining this prospective club, the odds are in your favor. Joey Blankenship is still on the lookout for members.
"Given enough demand, I will [start the club]," Joey Blankenship said.
To get involved, check out Facebook where a Tech group is forming to create hammock interest on campus.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Tech Activities Board gears up for upcoming events
- Orientation and Student Success begins search for SOAs
- Ice Cream & Stroll event kicks off semester for NPHC
- Army ROTC hosts annual Gold Bar Golf Scramble to fundraise for yearly expences
- Fall Fun Fest brings food and fun to Cookeville square
- SGA reorganizes senators for Independent Programs
- Tech police roll out new parking plan with increased consequences
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
- How Will You Remember the Most Important Moments of Your...
- Listos para la aventura con Elena de Avalor
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS