Students prepare for potential careers
Students of all majors, from seniors to freshmen, will have a chance to participate in Tech's Engineering Fair Thursday, Feb. 20, in the RUC.
The annual event - co-sponsored by Tech Career Services and the campus's Engineering Joint Council - will take place from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on the RUC's second floor in the Multipurpose Room and on the first floor in the Tech Pride Room.
"Career Services fairs are open to all majors and alumni," said Lynn Haley, interim director of Career Services. "In reviewing the list of majors requested for the 2014 Engineering Fair, you will see that organizations are seeking engineering, technical and science majors from all university programs as well as accounting, agriculture, business, environmental sciences and foreign languages, just to name a few."
Haley said student participation in the career fair "has a proven track record of success."
"That's why we continue to host these annual events," Haley said. "Students have the opportunity to meet employers face-to-face and gain an edge in securing co-op, internships and full-time jobs."
At press time, 94 companies have registered.
And while this fair may be catered toward engineering and technology majors, EJC President Ian Swagerty, mechanical engineering senior, said "there are still many companies that will be looking for candidates outside of the engineering realm."
"I have talked to companies before looking for marketing, accounting and finance interns," Swagerty said. "I suggest talking with the Career Center or looking online to see what companies will be there and what positions they are looking for."
To prepare for the event, Swagerty said he encourages students to brush up on their resumes, dress business casual for the fair, make the fair a priority, and look online for career fair tips.
Swagerty said, "Have fun. Being comfortable and friendly is key."
Tech students like Christina Bechard, graduating mechanical engineering senior and EJC secretary, have found success with landing an internship through the engineering fair.
"The engineering fair is a great time to build your networking skills and meet lots of companies that are either looking for full time employees after graduation or co-ops," Bechard said. "No matter what level of engineering you are attending, the fair is a must.
"The Engineering Joint Council, College of Engineering and Career Services do a wonderful job attracting companies that the engineering students want to work for," Bechard said. "I have always enjoyed how well organized everything is and that I can easily approach companies and find their booths. I also appreciate the printed name tags that we are given when we sign in."
Swagerty said he believes the fair can open many career doors for Tech students.
"I would like to encourage all students to give the career fair a try," Swagerty said. "It really is a fantastic way to get your name out the door. If nothing else, walk around and shake some hands."
The event is part of the larger Engineers Week schedule of events taking place next week, Feb. 17-21, 2014.
For more information, including a list of registered organizations and career fair tips, visit www.tntech.edu/career/engfair-student/
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”