Love runs cold at Cupid's Chase 5K
Snow was falling as residents of Cookeville gathered at Tucker Stadium last Saturday morning to run the Cupid's Chase 5K. The proceeds of the race benefit the local organization Community Options.
Community Options is an organization that provides employment, housing and educational opportunities to the disabled in our community, and this race is the seventh annual fundraiser for the company.
Those attending put on their Valentine's best as they prepared to spend the next 3.1 miles traveling through the frigid temperatures.
"I really liked that they had heaters," Tech student Tracie Lamas said. "That was smart."
Emily Hurst, Lamas's friend and fellow student, said, "But the snow sucked.
"I've never ran a 5K before, and I wanted to inspire myself," Hurst said in regard to her first place finish in her division. She said the best part about the race was finishing it.
"Just seeing the straight away finish line and being like, 'I'm there' and sprinting towards it," Lamas said.
Students such as Lamas and Hurst were of the many who participated in this charity event. Among the students present, several attended to volunteer for the race. "What an awesome cause," student Shelley Brown said about supporting Community Options. "That definitely enlightens my volunteering.
"My favorite part about volunteering was cheering the racers on as they crossed the finish line," Brown said. It seemed as though the finish line was a common favorite throughout the morning.
Was love in the air as the Cupid-themed event took place? Student Logan Hartman said he "hadn't planned on meeting [a Valentine] there" but would have been "open to the circumstance."
All things considered, it seemed the chilly temperatures didn't prevent the race from being enjoyable and unforgettable for those who participated.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections