Love runs cold at Cupid's Chase 5K
Snow was falling as residents of Cookeville gathered at Tucker Stadium last Saturday morning to run the Cupid's Chase 5K. The proceeds of the race benefit the local organization Community Options.
Community Options is an organization that provides employment, housing and educational opportunities to the disabled in our community, and this race is the seventh annual fundraiser for the company.
Those attending put on their Valentine's best as they prepared to spend the next 3.1 miles traveling through the frigid temperatures.
"I really liked that they had heaters," Tech student Tracie Lamas said. "That was smart."
Emily Hurst, Lamas's friend and fellow student, said, "But the snow sucked.
"I've never ran a 5K before, and I wanted to inspire myself," Hurst said in regard to her first place finish in her division. She said the best part about the race was finishing it.
"Just seeing the straight away finish line and being like, 'I'm there' and sprinting towards it," Lamas said.
Students such as Lamas and Hurst were of the many who participated in this charity event. Among the students present, several attended to volunteer for the race. "What an awesome cause," student Shelley Brown said about supporting Community Options. "That definitely enlightens my volunteering.
"My favorite part about volunteering was cheering the racers on as they crossed the finish line," Brown said. It seemed as though the finish line was a common favorite throughout the morning.
Was love in the air as the Cupid-themed event took place? Student Logan Hartman said he "hadn't planned on meeting [a Valentine] there" but would have been "open to the circumstance."
All things considered, it seemed the chilly temperatures didn't prevent the race from being enjoyable and unforgettable for those who participated.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards