SAE breaks ground on Greek Row
SAE conducts a ground breaking ceremony for their new house, which is the result of an agreement with CRMC. Jodi Lawrence
Sigma Alpha Epsilon broke ground on a new fraternity house on Peachtree Avenue Nov. 4, putting the fraternity on Greek Row.
The new location for the house was chosen because of a deal with Cookeville Regional Medical Center. The lot where the current SAE house sits on Seventh Street was traded for the new lot on Peachtree Avenue that CRMC previously owned.
"When we saw the location of the lot that the hospital wanted to do a signing trade with us for it was a done deal," Harrison Burdge, SAE treasurer, said. "We called our nationals and told them we were moving, and they helped us get it going. We raised $230,000 in two weeks, and that was the start of our money. Right now the plan is to start building in February and to be done by the beginning of October."
The future house, which has been designed to mimic the other buildings at Tech, will have living space for 14 members as well as a full kitchen, chapter room and study room. Currently the house is expected to be valued at $600,000 and will be about 5,200 square feet plus parking space.
Burdge said the money comes strictly from alumni donations. The fraternity has guidelines to follow about how to get the money, but it is up to the fraternity to actually do it.
For at least five years, the Tennessee Delta chapter has been donating $1,200 a month to the alumni association to start the building process.
"We are having great alumni involvement, even all the way from our founding members," Noble Halliburton, current SAE president, said. "We are already 70 percent towards our fundraising goals, and we hope to get the other 30 percent soon."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Purple Pride introduced to Cookeville preschoolers
- Street Preachers Return to South Patio
- Internet Outages affect campus productivity, Frontier fixes connectivity
- Flight Plan sets out to increase freshman retention
- Career Services plans for upcoming Oct. Career Fair
- Cookeville highlighted in 'Cookevegas' app
- Neon Trees to take stage in Hoop Tuesday
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses