Valentine's is more than chocolates and candy
Joseph Gordon-Levitt faces his older, Bruce Willis self in “Looper”. The Guardian
Valentine's Day is a day of love, chocolate, roses, rings, and basically everyone telling you how useless you are because you are single and don't have someone in your life to "buy" you things.
I have never had a Valentine or someone ask me to be his, but this has never bothered me.
So, why would it matter what people have said?
It only bothers me because so many people around me think they are only worthwhile if they have a special someone and they would give anything to have he or she ride in on a white horse.
Not going to happen. Admit it - if they were going to come they would have been here already, horses are much faster than people, anyway.
If you are like me, this time of year is hard because you see an excess of people holding hands or kissing. It can be hard because you keep hearing this voice in your head saying you will never have that. Scratch that. It is practically yelling it at you.
Do yourself a favor and tell that little voice in your head to shut up. It is wrong.
Valentine's Day also reminds me of one thing that voice tries so hard to make me forget; I already have all the love I could ever want or need.
Now, do not get me wrong, I would love to have my special someone and a family some day, but I have learned that I am still too messed up to be thinking about love and marriage. I want to finish college first.
This unforgettable love came in the form of a perfect sacrifice. That sacrifice was made freely and purchased my freedom. Because of that love I don't have to have the physical presence of a man in my life to make me feel loved. I already have it. That love is never ending and forgives me easier than any man could.
This is why I don't need anyone else but I right now. Take the normal everyday stress a student has with just a 12 hour class schedule, then add seven more to it, have three well paying part-time jobs and one that is ok, and finally, add to all of this the fact that you want to spend as much time at church worshipping God and learning all you can about Him. Yep, there really isn't any time for a guy to come in a distract me.
I have learned one thing over the years with this little voice; it is always the same thing over and over again. I have done one thing different and the voice now comes from the farthest distance and it sounds muffled.
What have I done? Well, I took my own advice and told it to shut up and I learned to be content. Not satisfied, but content.
I am content with where I am, looking forward to where I will be. Face it - no one knows whom we will meet tomorrow, but if "the one" happens to be there, then I hope he is still as messed up as me and can wait to get down on one knee.
So, this article goes out to the young ladies out there who are similar to me, but you haven't found that hope yet. I promise you, once you do, that voice will yell even louder that you aren't worth it, but you are. The love of Jesus Christ says you are and don't you ever forget that.
If anything, tomorrow make a pact with yourself and the Lord, you will have a date with Him, worshipping Him and thanking Him for everything He has done for you. That actually sounds like fun. Do not go and wallow in self-pity, go and rejoice in what the Lord has done for you.
My only prayer in writing this article is that maybe someone will see that there is hope. That guy or girl will come along, but first you need a never-ending love. That love will fill you up to overflowing and will teach you about a perfect love that is worth every minute living in it and shuts up the voices of the world and your head. That kind of peace and quiet is so wonderful.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Oldham and Haslam host forum for campus body about FOCUS act
- ‘I Heart Tech’ week to begin during Tech’s dead week
- Student survey measures campus sustainability
- Public Relations club pairs with Cookeville Fire Department to install smoke...
- Barketing in the Quad to aide Putnam County Animal Shelter
- ‘The Jungle Book’ stands as Disney’s fi rst truly stunning, faithful...
- Softball defeats TSU twice in three game series at home
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
- Congress Should Make It Easier for Taxpayers Who Still...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT