Valentine's is more than chocolates and candy
Joseph Gordon-Levitt faces his older, Bruce Willis self in “Looper”. The Guardian
Valentine's Day is a day of love, chocolate, roses, rings, and basically everyone telling you how useless you are because you are single and don't have someone in your life to "buy" you things.
I have never had a Valentine or someone ask me to be his, but this has never bothered me.
So, why would it matter what people have said?
It only bothers me because so many people around me think they are only worthwhile if they have a special someone and they would give anything to have he or she ride in on a white horse.
Not going to happen. Admit it - if they were going to come they would have been here already, horses are much faster than people, anyway.
If you are like me, this time of year is hard because you see an excess of people holding hands or kissing. It can be hard because you keep hearing this voice in your head saying you will never have that. Scratch that. It is practically yelling it at you.
Do yourself a favor and tell that little voice in your head to shut up. It is wrong.
Valentine's Day also reminds me of one thing that voice tries so hard to make me forget; I already have all the love I could ever want or need.
Now, do not get me wrong, I would love to have my special someone and a family some day, but I have learned that I am still too messed up to be thinking about love and marriage. I want to finish college first.
This unforgettable love came in the form of a perfect sacrifice. That sacrifice was made freely and purchased my freedom. Because of that love I don't have to have the physical presence of a man in my life to make me feel loved. I already have it. That love is never ending and forgives me easier than any man could.
This is why I don't need anyone else but I right now. Take the normal everyday stress a student has with just a 12 hour class schedule, then add seven more to it, have three well paying part-time jobs and one that is ok, and finally, add to all of this the fact that you want to spend as much time at church worshipping God and learning all you can about Him. Yep, there really isn't any time for a guy to come in a distract me.
I have learned one thing over the years with this little voice; it is always the same thing over and over again. I have done one thing different and the voice now comes from the farthest distance and it sounds muffled.
What have I done? Well, I took my own advice and told it to shut up and I learned to be content. Not satisfied, but content.
I am content with where I am, looking forward to where I will be. Face it - no one knows whom we will meet tomorrow, but if "the one" happens to be there, then I hope he is still as messed up as me and can wait to get down on one knee.
So, this article goes out to the young ladies out there who are similar to me, but you haven't found that hope yet. I promise you, once you do, that voice will yell even louder that you aren't worth it, but you are. The love of Jesus Christ says you are and don't you ever forget that.
If anything, tomorrow make a pact with yourself and the Lord, you will have a date with Him, worshipping Him and thanking Him for everything He has done for you. That actually sounds like fun. Do not go and wallow in self-pity, go and rejoice in what the Lord has done for you.
My only prayer in writing this article is that maybe someone will see that there is hope. That guy or girl will come along, but first you need a never-ending love. That love will fill you up to overflowing and will teach you about a perfect love that is worth every minute living in it and shuts up the voices of the world and your head. That kind of peace and quiet is so wonderful.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Tech Activities Board gears up for upcoming events
- Orientation and Student Success begins search for SOAs
- Ice Cream & Stroll event kicks off semester for NPHC
- Army ROTC hosts annual Gold Bar Golf Scramble to fundraise for yearly expences
- Fall Fun Fest brings food and fun to Cookeville square
- SGA reorganizes senators for Independent Programs
- Tech police roll out new parking plan with increased consequences
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum