Golden Eagle softball under new coaching
Former head softball coach Tory Acheson resigned last Thursday after 14 years with the program, leaving the former player and two-time OVC pitcher of the year, Bonnie Bynum in charge effective immediately.
Acheson's abrupt resignation left many people across campus wondering why this had happened and what the softball program was going to do.
"It's strange that a coach would just resign like that three weeks before the season starts," said Tech senior and intramural softball enthusiast Roggie Haston. "Will the assistant coach just take over?"
Oddly enough, the wife of coach Acheson and assistant softball coach Terry Acheson did not take over the head coaching position. However, coach Bynum taking over seems to be going over well with everyone including Senior infielder/outfielder, Melody Christian.
"The news of Coach Acheson leaving was upsetting, but Coach Bynum and this adversity as a whole will bring us closer as a team," said Christian.
Christian also added, "There are going to be struggles along the way to the OVC Tournament, but as a team we are strong enough to overcome any of them."
"Coach Bynum made such an impact in the fall that it was easy for our team to see her take over the coaching position," Christian said. "The team is very confident despite the adversity and we are very lucky to have her step in."
Confidence will be good for this year's team because the AP ranked Tech No. 2 in the Ohio Valley Conference to start the season.
"We are extremely excited to be ranked second, but we are more excited about the great new group of girls, the new coaching, and the amazing family-like bond we have created this year," said Christian. "We are going to work hard this season and compete for the number one spot in league and to make a huge statement at the OVC Tournament."
Bynum appears to be excited about her new role as well according to an article on ttusports.com.
"I'm excited to have the opportunity to build on an already great program that Coach Acheson has established and I'm looking forward to the future of Tennessee Tech softball," Bynum said. "I want to thank Tory for everything he has done for me in my career, both as a player and as a coach."
Bynum will make her head coaching debut at the Georgia Southern Tournament Feb. 9 against Akron University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Golden Eagles Awarded Co-OVC Regular Season Champions, Individual Accolades
- Offensive line, Tight Ends Among Most Improved for Golden Eagle football
- SGA run-off election to be held Friday
- Pi Sigma Alpha hosts annual Take Back the Night march
- Baseball defeats Blue Raiders in Murfreesboro
- SGA executive election campaigns Tuesday, campaign rules same as 2014
- Backdoor Playhouse opens Shakespeare classic
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now