Golden Eagle softball under new coaching
Former head softball coach Tory Acheson resigned last Thursday after 14 years with the program, leaving the former player and two-time OVC pitcher of the year, Bonnie Bynum in charge effective immediately.
Acheson's abrupt resignation left many people across campus wondering why this had happened and what the softball program was going to do.
"It's strange that a coach would just resign like that three weeks before the season starts," said Tech senior and intramural softball enthusiast Roggie Haston. "Will the assistant coach just take over?"
Oddly enough, the wife of coach Acheson and assistant softball coach Terry Acheson did not take over the head coaching position. However, coach Bynum taking over seems to be going over well with everyone including Senior infielder/outfielder, Melody Christian.
"The news of Coach Acheson leaving was upsetting, but Coach Bynum and this adversity as a whole will bring us closer as a team," said Christian.
Christian also added, "There are going to be struggles along the way to the OVC Tournament, but as a team we are strong enough to overcome any of them."
"Coach Bynum made such an impact in the fall that it was easy for our team to see her take over the coaching position," Christian said. "The team is very confident despite the adversity and we are very lucky to have her step in."
Confidence will be good for this year's team because the AP ranked Tech No. 2 in the Ohio Valley Conference to start the season.
"We are extremely excited to be ranked second, but we are more excited about the great new group of girls, the new coaching, and the amazing family-like bond we have created this year," said Christian. "We are going to work hard this season and compete for the number one spot in league and to make a huge statement at the OVC Tournament."
Bynum appears to be excited about her new role as well according to an article on ttusports.com.
"I'm excited to have the opportunity to build on an already great program that Coach Acheson has established and I'm looking forward to the future of Tennessee Tech softball," Bynum said. "I want to thank Tory for everything he has done for me in my career, both as a player and as a coach."
Bynum will make her head coaching debut at the Georgia Southern Tournament Feb. 9 against Akron University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Radiohead Welcomes The Past With 'Burn The Witch'
- Oldham and Haslam host forum for campus body about FOCUS act
- ‘I Heart Tech’ week to begin during Tech’s dead week
- Student survey measures campus sustainability
- Public Relations club pairs with Cookeville Fire Department to install smoke...
- Barketing in the Quad to aide Putnam County Animal Shelter
- ‘The Jungle Book’ stands as Disney’s fi rst truly stunning, faithful...
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Get Involved in Preventing Mosquitoes
- Preparing 21st Century Enterprises for Success in the...
- 7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Wedding Photographer
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- How Brand Marketers Drive Lift in Loyalty, Reach
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
- Rolling Stones Exhibit Rocks Music Fans
- Enhance Your Summer Look With These Style Tips
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board
- LendEDU 2016 College Students and Personal Finance Study
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016