Tips and tricks for surviving this year's Finals Week
Finals are fast approaching as Tech students begin to feel the rush to the end of another semester.
The questions on every student's mind should be "When should I start studying? How long should I study each subject in one day?"
"You need to start early," said Edith Duvier, director of the College of Arts and Sciences Student Success Center. "Give yourself plenty of time, because college finals are not like high school finals."
Merriam-Webster.com defines the word "study" as "the activity or process of learning about something by ready, memorizing facts, attending school, etc." Another definition is "careful or extended consideration." Cramming is defined as "to study a subject intensively, especially for an imminent examination."
The New York Daily News released an article in 2012 concerning the subject that cramming is actually bad for your health and said that, according to the American Psychological Association, a student's best bet is to study in smaller spurts throughout a semester and they will retain more information than if they studied in one uninterrupted session.
Duvier suggested managing time. With managing study time students won't have to wait until the last minute to "cram" everything in.
Topuniversities.com gives expert advice for giving students the best chance of success with 10 tips:
1. Give yourself enough time to study: don't leave it until the last minute.
2. Organize your study space. Make sure to have space to spread out with plenty of light with no distractions around.
3. Use flow charts and diagrams. Think about using visual aids!
4. Practice old exams.
5. Explain your answers to others.
6. Organize study groups with friends.
7. Take regular breaks.
8. Snack on 'brain food.' Stay away from junk food!
9. Plan your exam day.
10. Drink plenty of water.
Final exams begin on Monday, May 5. Students can check their exam schedule at http://www.tntech.edu/records/finalexamschedule/ and clicking on "Spring 2014" tab.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Volleyball serves up OVC success
- Quidditch takes down a dozen in Gold Cup
- Awesome Eagle hits Smashville as guest mascot at Thursday's Predators game
- Craft beer festival brews up good times in Dogwood Park
- Craven has a cravin' for good, local craft beer
- Where are there ghosts on campus?
- Area haunted attractions bring fun, horror to all ages
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!