ITS offers Microsoft Office suite to students for free
Drake Fenlon, left, and James Kimbro pass out shirts for last night’s SOLO concert while tickets are being sold. Tickets were sold out by Tuesday morning. Casey Woodard
Tech students are benefitting from a new contract agreement signed with Microsoft.
The Information Technology Services department is offering students one free download of the Microsoft Office 2010 package, which includes Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint and Word.
For Mac users a free download of Microsoft Office 2011 will be offered.
The download is available at tntech.e-academy.com.
"To download the free version of Microsoft, students will need to login using their PC lab login," Elaine Wells, information technology services analyst, said. "Freshmen might need to reset the passwords for their PC lab login because some might not have used a PC lab outside of the Learning Commons, which uses the Tech domain."
To reset the password to the PC lab login, students can go to the glass window at Clement Hall room 226 or visit the ITS page on the Tech website.
"I like the idea of free Microsoft Word to all the students," senior Mohammed Ben Razek said. "Some students don't have enough money to pay for books plus buy extra software for their computers to do their homework with."
The funding for the free download was made possible through the Technology Access Fee, which is included in tuition.
"I think this is great because a lot of students don't have Microsoft Office when they come to Tech," senior Andrew Morgan said. "Also it's good to know where the money that students pay Tech is going."
Wells said, "If faculty and staff members wish to download Microsoft Office, they will have to pay for it at an academic price."
The website also offers students a free version of Microsoft Office 2007 and a free version of Windows 7.
Other Microsoft products and Adobe products are being offered on the website, but faculty and students both will have to buy them at an academic price.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Radiohead Welcomes The Past With 'Burn The Witch'
- Oldham and Haslam host forum for campus body about FOCUS act
- ‘I Heart Tech’ week to begin during Tech’s dead week
- Student survey measures campus sustainability
- Public Relations club pairs with Cookeville Fire Department to install smoke...
- Barketing in the Quad to aide Putnam County Animal Shelter
- ‘The Jungle Book’ stands as Disney’s fi rst truly stunning, faithful...
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- New CDC Guidelines Seen as Boost for Chiropractic Care
- 10 Questions to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- The Prenatal Vitamin Your Mom Wishes She Had
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day