The Tech women’s tennis team lost its spring season-opening match against Middle Tennessee State University by a score of 5-2 on Feb. 1.Despite a late match rally, MTSU held off Tech in the last events to secure the victory at Nashboro Village, improving the team’s record to 2-0 while Tech fell to 0-1. This was the first dual match of the season for Tech and its first-year coach, Dan Silverstein.
“We battled until the end,” said Silverstein. “If a few points went the other way, we would have had the result we wanted.”
After winning the three doubles sets by identical 8-2 scores, MTSU won the first two singles matches.
Blue Raider freshman Taylor Coffey defeated freshman Tatiana Denzhkina, 6-2, 6-3, and MTSU junior Natalie Araya won over freshman Laura Porras, 6-3, 6-3.
Golden Eagle sophomore Kelly Holtzhausen gave Tech hope when she knocked off MTSU freshman Marietta Bigus, 6-2, 6-4. Keeping the rally alive, Tech freshman Alena Krutkina defeated MTSU Anna Djananova, 6-2, 6-0.
The last two matches went to three sets, but MTSU’s experience pulled them through for the victory. The clincher came when Blue Raider senior Andrea Herrera topped sophomore Katie Barnhill, 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-3.
The contest ended with MTSU senior Marlene Chemin outlasting sophomore Diana Woodcock, 0-6, 6-2, 6-2, for the insurance point.
“We played much better in singles,” Silverstein said. “This wasn’t the result we wanted, but we have a good direction for the season.”
The Golden Eagle women return to action on Feb. 7 at 10 a.m. when they host Arkansas-Little Rock.
Middle Tennessee State 5, Tennessee Tech 2
1. Kelly Holtzhausen (TTU) def. Marietta Bigus (MTSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Andrea Herrera (MTSU) def. Katie Barnhill (TTU) 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-3
3. Natalie Araya (MTSU) def. Laura Porras (TTU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Taylor Coffey (MTSU) def. Tatiana Denzhkina (TTU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Alena Krutkina (TTU) def. Anna Djananova (MTSU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Marlene Chemin (MTSU) def. Diana Woodcock (TTU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Natalie Araya/Marietta Bigus (MTSU) def. Katie Barnhill/Kelly Holtzhausen (TTU) 8-2
2. Taylor Coffey/Marlene Chemin (MTSU) def. Alena Krutkina/Tatiana Denzhkina (TTU) 8-2
3. Anna Djananova/Alex Dachos (MTSU) def. Diana Woodcock/Joanna Corkern (TTU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,3,1,5,2,6)