SOLO Super Fund lacks student group participation

SGA’s Student Organization Life Opportunity Bill General Operating Fund has excess funds available to students and student groups.

The SOLO Bill is designed provide Tech students with more than a concert each semester. The bill is divided into two sections, the Super and the General Funds.

The Super Fund, which accounts for 75 percent, is the fund that allows for a major concert each semester. The General Fund, which makes up the other 25 percent, provides funding to student organizations promoting their organizations on campus, as long as the events are free.

In recent semesters not all of the money in the General Fund has been dispersed.

The amount of money generally given to organizations is $1000.

“The fund for this is growing,” Ashley Humphrey, SGA treasure, said. “We have approximately $40,000 that can be given out, but we are having a lot of difficulty getting student organizations to apply for this funding.”

The fund has three allocation periods in which it awards money to groups who have applied for funding. There are no limits as to how many groups can be approved during each period.

“Each allocation period has three major dates that you have to look into,” said Humphrey. “There is a date that you have to submit your application.

“Then our senate will vote on every application. Once an application passes through the senate, it goes to the Student Affairs office and that is where the organization goes to deal with all their funding.”

Five organizations were granted funding in the last allocation period.

“We want to give the money out, but unless we see more applications we just aren’t able to do so,” Humphrey said.

If organizations do not apply for funding, it puts a snag in SGA’s to bring more events to Tech students.

“The SOLO Bill’s main driving purpose is to promote student retention on campus and to get students involved on campus,” Lee Gatts, SGA president, said. “Hopefully going to our SOLO funded events will help students to learn about the organization.”