After run-off vote, McDonald declared SGA President
After a run-off election on Thursday, April 10, Emily McDonald was declared the SGA presidential race winner for the 2014-2015 school year.
According to voting data, voter turnout for this re-voting totaled nearly 20 percent of students, mirroring Tuesdays voting at around the same percentage.
"I am really excited that students were out there voting," said newly elected Emily McDonald. "I really hope that students will have a better understanding of what SGA can do through the elections. I know that students might have been annoyed by having two elections, but I think, ultimately, we did the best we could."
The run-off election on April 10 was conducted due to the fact that none of the SGA presidential candidates had received a majority vote as stipulated by Article VII, Section 3, Subsection A of the current SGA Constitution.
"If no candidate receives a majority of the votes on the first ballot, a run-off election will be held between the two candidates receiving the largest plurality. The candidate receiving the most votes shall then be declared elected," according to the SGA Constitution.
Kyle Bieze and Emily McDonald held the highest percentages of the four candidates after the referendum on Tuesday, and were asked to run again in a second battle of the ballots on Thursday, April 10.
Candidates Shabir Bhegani and Roy West additionally ran for the office of SGA president.
"This is the first time, in at least recent history, that Student Government has had a run-off election," said Kyle Bieze, presidential candidate.
After taking a quick look at the election results, McDonald said, "Some goals I have would be, for sure, to bridge the gap between senators and the students they represent, because there is definitely an issue in communication, because students right now don't know who to go to if they are having issues."
"Congratulations. I know she and I stood for a lot of similar things," Bieze said upon hearing the results. "I hope it goes well for her."
In the first round of voting, current SGA President Clay Stubblefield announced Emily McDonald winner of the presidential vote, along with Daniel Tribble as Vice President, Will Gableman as treasurer and Kellie Collins the new secretary for the coming year.
"I will more than likely still be apart of the Senate, as long as nothing goes terribly wrong with next week's Senator elections." Bieze said. "I ran for the benefit of the student body and I plan to do that in the Senate."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Tech Activities Board gears up for upcoming events
- Orientation and Student Success begins search for SOAs
- Ice Cream & Stroll event kicks off semester for NPHC
- Army ROTC hosts annual Gold Bar Golf Scramble to fundraise for yearly expences
- Fall Fun Fest brings food and fun to Cookeville square
- SGA reorganizes senators for Independent Programs
- Tech police roll out new parking plan with increased consequences
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS