Tech lands among top national rankings for eighth straight year
Tech's ranked in the top 100 Best College Buys for the eighth consecutive year through Institutional Research and Evaluation, Inc.
According to 100bestcollegebuys.com, the organization specializes in identifying the top 100 American colleges by focusing on high quality education at a low cost.
Robert Hodum, tech enrollment management, said he thinks students choose Tech because it's affordable, and they collect less debt while in college.
"We try to help students along the way to think about once you graduate, we want you to have the least debt," Hodum said. "We understand that students look at the present time. If we can help them down the road by having a low student debt, that helps it become more affordable for the student."
The Tennessee ranking bases the schools by the in-state and out-of-state costs for students and from prospective students' GPA, SAT and ACT scores submitted to the college.
The four schools included with Tech are Belmont University, Union University, the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and the University of Tennessee at Martin. Tech has the lowest in-state tuition in the TBR region and second lowest in-state and out-of-state cost in Tennessee. Tech's in-state cost is $14,674 and out-of-state is $29,542.
Hodum said one way to keep debt down is by counseling students when they take out student loans.
"The financial aid office works with students to say to the student that they might qualify for $6,000 in loans but they really only need $3,000 to pay their bills, so we council students to keep their loan debt low," Hodum said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tntechoracle News Articles
Recent tntechoracle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNTECHORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNTECHORACLE NEWS
- Conti awarded for outstanding leadership
- Bill for $1 SGA student fee tabled until Dec. 2 meeting
- Two business majors arrested on public intoxication charges
- Crosswalks to be improved
- Teen taken into custody for carrying gun on campus
- Tennessee Tech Kappa Sigma chapter turns 50
- SGA constitution: Revisions are finalized to prepare for student vote
RECENT TNTECHORACLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge